Sign in to follow this  

How to make a Heads-up-display..?

I am working on making a heads up display for my sim.does anyone have any ideas. i have been working with several different kinds of tint to reflect the image, but it is a challenge to be able to see the screen through the glass panel AND at the same time see the HUD image..ANYONE have any inputs on this??jeff

The HUD glass is simple, just put a pane of glass inclined at an angle with the top towards you.On the other side of the HUD you put the mainscreen and under the HUD you put a screen showing the HUD picture.You can now move both screens and the mirrors to get the proper setup.What is IMO important is the difference in brightness between the HUD picture and the main picture.The HUD picture consists of a background (no color) and the symbols. (bright colors)The mainpicture has just one element; the main picture.You want to achieve two things:-The brightness of the main picture must be (much) higher than that of the HUD background. Ideally the HUD background would be completely black = no light emitted.This prevents the HUD background from "overpowering" the main picture.-The brightness of the HUD symbols must be (much) higher than that of the background.This prevents the main picture from "overpowering" the HUD symbols.The thing is that if we get two light signals from the same direction (HUD symbols and main picture) then the brightest signal will be dominating.A low HUD symbols signal will be overpowered by a high main pictre signal.Think of it as lighting a match at noon, it won't light the room as much as a match lit at night.If you can't find a monitor that is bright enough to dominate a main picture that can be seen well then you could try a setup with a projector.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/14500.gif

Guest aspnet

I've just found this thread from last year.Has anyone developed the software to display just a HUD image for a B737-800 (reversed so that it can be projected)? Thanks,Ken

Displaying the HUD would be easy except for reversing the digital numbers. Reversing the 'fixed' numbers such as the scale on the pitch indicator would be easy, but getting a lebel to display in mirror image is trickier.Richard

Guest frenchmaverick

First of all sorry about my poor English.Project Magenta has a Head Up display in its Boeing package wich is reversed in order to be reflected on a glass display ( I try it and it's amazing ! ). Simply try the demo. The problem is that you must focus at a certain distance to see this image ( the distance between your eyes and the glass display + the distance between the glass display and the monitor that generates the symbol )and this distance is different from the one between you eyes and the outside view projected on the wall thus you have to accomodate your vision from the outside view to the symbols. On a real HUD the image is projected to the infinity thanks to a lens ; so there's no accomodation .