Sign in to follow this  
Guest AirPanther

Hagstrom KE24

Guest AirPanther

It is unclear to me from the Hagstrom page as to how many inputs the KE24 unit has. It says 12 x 12 matrix, but I am pretty sure that doesn't mean 144 inputs! Could somebody fill me in please :-)Thanks,Robert

Guest dakenskys

Hi Robert,Yes, you are correct...if you take 12 inputs arranged as the columns and the other 12 as the rows and then scan these inputs, you can detect any of 144 keypresses.However, you can also hook it up as 24 direct inputs.Now, the pro's and con's....direct inputs are more reliable as they are "direct" per input, whereas the multiplexed 144 switches would be based on your programming having to "scan" across all those inputs and there is a possibility that if your program can't handle the speed, you might miss a critical button press.Hope that helps.Ken

Guest AirPanther

So what would I need to read these multiplexed inputs? A decoder a demux?Does the KE72 have this same ability?

AFAIK you just connect your switches in a matrix and plug the encoder between keyboard and PC.

Guest AirPanther

So I just connect the buttons to the matrix just like a keyboard matrix and all is well? Is there any complex circuitry needed or just simple N.O. N.C. connections? Can the KE24 produce macros? Can it use toggle switches?Thanks!Robert

http://www.hagstromelectronics.com/modules.htmlHagstrom's site says it is programmable.You just wire a switch between two pins and that's it.You may insert some diodes against ghostkeys if you intend to press a lot of buttons at once.No mention of toggles.You could find a mechanical solution using two nodes in the matrix.

Guest AirPanther

so if there are +144 inputs available via the matrix on a KE24, why use a KE72?

Guest seev_39

Hi Robert,I have a Hagstrom KE-72 and I don't believe it has less capacity than the KE-24.The KE-72 has 72 inputs and you can add another 72 as "release" input. That means that if you have a toggle switch that is dedicated to a certain keyboard input (including of course combination strocks) on the ON push, you can declare a completely different key strock on the OFF action. So, in theory the KE-72 has 144 actions. In reality, only a small number of switches or levers are such "double action" type.By the way, it is wonderful product, without it I could not built my 104 function flight controller.Seev

HiThe Ke 18 and Ke 24 can be used to accept 18 and 24 switches or can be set up in a matrix. (81 and 144 switches).When set up as a matrix you can get ghosting problems described above).As far as I know only the KE72 can accept togglesswitches (the others only momentary switches).The KE72 has also 4 leds for output, nice to use for a message or exec indicator on a FMC.Norbert Boschhttp://home.wanado.nl/norbert.bosch