Sign in to follow this  

Key Switch for Start/Mags any Ideas??

Anyone have any idea where I can find a 5 position rotary key switch to use for a start/Mag switch like the one on a 172 panel? I am building a 172/182 cockpit using the TRC panel and Go Flight radios and I am making most of the lower panel switches and integrating them with a KE72. Using FSUIPC and key mapping I can assign all the commands through the KE72 to operate a key switch for, Off, Mag1, and Mag2, Both, and start, but I can only find a 4 position Key operated switch. This means I cannot have Off if I use this switch. Any one find a 5 position key switch?? Thanks,Ken PeckhamCEO B&B Sim Technologies"We Put You in the Left Seat!"

Guest MikePowell

Hi Ken,It's not cheap, but you can buy a keyed ignition switch with five positions from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. Model # A-510-2 goes for $52.95 www.aircraftspruce.comDigikey carries a line of key switches by NKK. Digikey part #360-1469-ND is a "SP5T Low Security" switch that mounts on a printed circuit board and has a plastic key. It's "only" $18. www.digikey.comI think I would be more inclined to buy a cabinet lock and try to rig some sort of linkage to a 5 pole switch. Absolutely no idea how to do so, but at those prices I'd give it a shot.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

Guest kdarling

I use a DP5T key switch that I got for less than $5 from http://www.mpja.com/Granted, the fifth position isn't spring-driven for Start (although you could probably rig something up). Also, the minimum order from them is $15 or something like that. And it doesn't have the usual switch connectors, but solder holes which I had to VOM to figure out which were which. And... it mounts using two tiny screws instead of a big nut. No real problem with any of that, of course. Especially for the price :)Kev

Robert, Thanks! If he can get one I'd be willing to pay up to $30 for it. If not then $53 for the one Mike found is about the best option. I really don't want to spend that much but for realism's sake I have been known to spend the big $$'s especially when It is for a realisic project like the one I am working on now. Thanks Guys,Ken Peckham CEOB&B Sim Technologies"We put you in the left seat"SimBuilder2@aol.com

Thanks Kev, I ordered 3 of them and a few Rocker Switches as well. Looks like very reasonable prices, I hope the quality is good and they last.Ken Peckham CEOB&B Sim Technologies"We put you in the left seat"SimBuilder2@aol.com

Guest kdarling

> I ordered 3 of them ...Also be sure to get a Spruce catalog. They have neat stuff like:ACS Ignition Switch Plate - $1.50http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/igswitches.phpAnd sheets of preprinted labels for cockpits, as well.If you're using TRC's console, what are you using for a lower panel? Have you seen Flight Deck Solutions' C172 panels?Best,Kev

<<>Kev, I'm building my own lower panel and Radio Stack. I already have the radio stack completed using Go Flight gear, The lower panel is all real world switches integrated through a Hagstrom KE72 (Much Cheaper than anything I can Buy) I enjoy making my own panels and installing them, but I will check out Flight Deck Solutions C172 Panel. Take Care,Ken Peckham CEOB&B Sim Technologies"We put you in the left seat"SimBuilder2@aol.com

Guest kdarling

>I use a DP5T key switch that I got for less than $5 from >http://www.mpja.com/I should add how I used this switch for my cockpit, which is a little different than most people would:On one pole, I soldered resistors to each throw so that the positions 1-4 go to the Radio Shack USB joystick adapter as a Hat switch. This gives me OFF, LEFT, RIGHT and BOTH via some FSUIPC conditional logic.On the other pole I wired the fifth throw only to a joystick button as START. (I suppose to a keyboard would be fine as well, since you're only going to switch there and off again once started.)Just some offbeat ideas...Kev