Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gordon

Analouge Gauges

Guest Gordon

Hi all,I've just finished drawing up very detailed plans for a Cessna 421C Home Cockpit. Only thing that is stopping me from building it just now is the guages! For a glass cockpit you use Project Magenta but I need accual gauges. Does anyone know who makes/sells analouge gauges and that can be connected upto Flight Simulator 2002?Gordon :-zhelp

Guest TOMCAT

Hello Gordon,take a look at www.simkits.com . They're a Dutch company making kits for analogue instruments driven by R/C-servos. Assembling those things doesn't seem too complicated and you can even download a detailed assembly instruction on their site.Simkits also offer an electronics interface unit to hook up their instruments to FS 2002.CU Thomas :-wave

There is nothing that prevents you from doing the same than you would with a "glass cockpit" but with analog FS gauges. Just dont do "CRT" holes in your panel but rather those round gauge holes - stick an LCD or flat CRT screen behind it and put a custom FS2002 panel in that screen.You can put rotary encoders or such in the panel for QNH knobs etc as well, the components just need to be quite thin, but those exist for sure.Works just as fine as anything.Tuomas

Guest Gordon

Hey guys.Thanks for all that info, both simkits.com and sim-instruments.com look good, i need to read all the way through everything on both sites and decide which one im going to go for, but im leaning more in the direction of simkits.comThanks again for all your help :)Gordon :-wave

Guest TOMCAT

Hi Gordon,and Simkits will definitely be cheaper. That Sim-Instruments aluminium case stuff looks quite nice, but what's that good for when it's hidden right behind my panel ;-) .I'm actually thinking about some kind of mini-cockpit - the "holy six", radios and the basic switches and levers for general aviation - with the analogue gauges based on Simkits' instruments as well.CU Thomas :-wave

Guest Gordon

Well i calculated everything up that i needed, which is all the instruments including the servos and it all adds up to $1369.50. Which is $3000 cheaper than the 727 and 777 simulator i was planning on doing. I've laready constructed the base of it and once i get started, god knows when that is, i'll post a few pics.Gordon :-wave