Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

FS2002 Finally Died - How to Reload?

Well, after many months of faithful service, FS2002 finally gave up the ghost. I went to do some "flying" yesterday, and it would not boot up. All other programs do just fine.After backing up my "add-ons", new textures, etc. I deleted FS2002. Upon trying to reinstall into the same directory (after I made sure it no longer existed on the disk), FS2002 tells me that another game isinstalled in that directory and that I should choose a new one. I really would like to use the same, as my backed-up scenery.cfg points to that directory.My question is, should I also delete the programs which pointed to FS2002 (JAB, AIU, FlightZip, FSMeteo,etc.)?I'm not a 'puter guru, so I thought that this would be the only possiblilty holding me back from reinstallingFS2002 in the desired directory.What do you all think?Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice.gwillmot

Please excuse the "bump", but leaving shortly to try to deal with this problem....anyone with idea(s)?

How did you "delete" your original version? Did you simply delete the executable or did you use the "Uninstall" feature that is on the original CDROM? You should have used the latter but no matter, it's not that serious of an error. Most new programs, including FS2k2, put an entry into your computer's registry file which is used by other products that need to know where FS2k2 is located on your system. If you simply deleted the program files, you left the original registry entry in place and the Installation option on the FS2k2 CDROM probably sees it there and thinks it is already installed. After backing up ALL the FS2k2 files you want to preserve, try opening up the "Add/Remove Programs" icon in the Control Panel Directory, click on the "Microsoft Flight Simulator FS2002" entry, and then click on Remove. This should get rid of the offending registry entry and you should be able to re-install FS2k2 to your original directory.Good Luck,Stan V.

Many thanks, Stan.I appreciate you taking the time to try to help out this old geezer.Will do as you suggested.gwillmot

Here's a somewhat-related, newbie-ish question -- in a conventional uninstall/reinstall, is it necessary to back up add-ons and then restore them "by hand," so to speak, or do they remain in place? I'm almost certain that it's the latter, but as someone without profound technical skills I want to be absolutely, absolutely sure before I go through the routine. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.Alan Ampolsk

I suspect the installation package is looking at the FS2002 registry key, which may still be loaded on your system. You may want to check for and if found, delete the registry key. You'll find the key here:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator8.0