Sign in to follow this  
Guest JimboJet777

BUGEYE TECHNOLOGIES three monitor video unit

Guest JimboJet777

Anybody using this BUGEYE unit yet and would like some comments before I buyThanks

>Anybody using this BUGEYE unit yet and would like some>comments before I buy>ThanksLooks like it is basically 3 fresnel lenses in an angle and monitors behind. Doesnt look too hard to do, how much does it cost?I dont know this thing personally, but one thing is certain - you need to keep your head at a certain location to see it all, and it only works for one person - for dual cockpit you need one for each person because it is critical for the viewing angle.Tuomas

Well it pretty much looks like 3 monitors behind fresnels. Not that it is a bad idea, such a setup probably works well. If it is reasonably priced it might be a good idea, but it doesnt look like rocket science, its pretty simple. They use such fresnel "racks" in the military simulators, so the technology itself is not too bad. Just needs your head to be at the same spot.Tuomas

Guest jackolantern

Looks to be simply 3 fresnels in a black enclosing with 3 monitors at certain angles, just as other poster says. It comes with a Matrox Parhelia I think. This setup is easily duplicated yourself, though maybe the black enclosing wouldbe a bit harder to do yourself at the quality level they do it at. But it can certainly be done.Understand though, it appears to be simply 3 monitors, 3 fresnels, and a black enclosing to keep light out. I plan to do the same thing, but I'll be doing it myself.Maybe email them and ask if thats what it is?>Anybody using this BUGEYE unit yet and would like some>comments before I buy>Thanks

Guest JimboJet777

>Looks to be simply 3 fresnels in a black enclosing with 3>monitors at certain angles, just as other poster says. It>comes with a Matrox Parhelia I think. This setup is easily>duplicated yourself, though maybe the black enclosing wouldbe>a bit harder to do yourself at the quality level they do it>at. But it can certainly be done.>>Understand though, it appears to be simply 3 monitors, 3>fresnels, and a black enclosing to keep light out. I plan to>do the same thing, but I'll be doing it myself.>>Maybe email them and ask if thats what it is?>>>>Anybody using this BUGEYE unit yet and would like some>>comments before I buy>>Thanks>

Guest JimboJet777

thanks for all the info. I signed on to their site and the pics look like what you all are describing. suppose i could spend the same amount of money buying 3 monitors and a matrox. they want almost $1800 I only wish I could find someone that has one. by the way BUGEYE TECH is a sub of BOEING AIRCRAFT and they use a similiar system for jet training and I am sure BIG BIG bucksThanks

Guest eviljbob

Hi Jimbo,I had a play with the system a couple of weeks ago at a trade show flying FS 2002. It is just three monitors with three fresnel lenses in front of it. You can probably make it yourself. They were charging US$2000 for it. I suspect it had some LCD monitors in it that bumped the price up, but it was just three monitors in a box with three lenses in front of it. The other issue with it is the "sweet spot". You really have to keep your head in one place to get the benefit of a "seamless" display and it became really annoying very quickly. If you moved even an inch away from this spot, the image would distort. My advice is try it yourself first with some cheap fresnel lenses and a couple of monitors.Hope this helps,E

Guest JimboJet777

thanks again you all saved me some money and possible problems. i am a newbie and hope to converse again in the future

>thanks for all the info. I signed on to their site and the>pics look like what you all are describing. suppose i could>spend the same amount of money buying 3 monitors and a matrox.>they want almost $1800 I only wish I could find someone that>has one. by the way BUGEYE TECH is a sub of BOEING AIRCRAFT>and they use a similiar system for jet training and I am sure >BIG BIG bucks>ThanksYea, nothing wrong with the system itself. It's just nothing "magic" but very simple construction and idea that works. As long as you keep your head in one place. For a two-person cockpit I would guess each pilot would needs his/her own or something, those dont work at all if a friend wants to see the scenery too.Eek! Who the heck added all those insane smileys to the message compose page? :-PTuomas