Sign in to follow this  
Guest ATCguy

Need to calibrate my homemade throttles.

I am certain that FSUIPC is a product worthy of 20 euro, however I am only interested in calibration of my throttles. Is there any alternative freeware out there for this sort of thing, or has Peter Dowson cornered the market? I hesitate to purchase FSUIPC, as it is only guaranteed to be compatible with FS2004 (ie. what happens when FS2006 comes out?).If I'm going to spend $40 CDN on this software, it must remain useful for at least a few years. I'm cheap.Roger

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, does Windows recognize your throttle as an input device ? If so, you should be able to calibrate it just using the MSFS "Calibrate Joystick" option. Other than that, if you write your own application to interface the throttle to FSUIPC, Pete will give you a freeware key to connect that app to FSUIPC without paying or registering it. There is another program that the people at FDS have written that duplicates FSUIPC's free functions, but you'd need to write an app to interface your throttle to that as well.Richard

When I attempt to calibrate it, I get a "Logitech Wingman Force 3D Calibration" window. It steps me through the movement of all axis, then finally tells me that the calibration failed. This could be because both my throttle axis(s) are limited in travel to about 70 degrees pot rotation. The calibration tool doesn't like this. FSUIPC used to let me specify the beginning and end of throttle travel.Roger

Don't know why limiting the pots to 70' should be a problem - if you look inside a joystick you will usually find that the pitch and bank axis pots turn even less than that.Richard

Good news! I managed to get the Windows XP calibration utility working (could actually be a Logitech product, not sure). The spoiler axis and flap axis are calibrated nicely, but my left and right throttles are not quite right. I cannot bring my engines to idle (PMDG's 737 idles at a screaming 52% N1 for some reason). That is strange, because when I check the "joystick" properties in the control panel, it shows these two axis minimizing and maximizing as I push and pull on the throttle handles (what I mean is, the little dot in the square window moves all the way up, down, left, and right. Seems perfect, except in flight simulator, the throttles can only be reduced to a certain point). This issue is with all aircraft, not just PMDG.Roger