Sign in to follow this  
Guest Salbado

How many of us out here?

I am just curious as to how many builders there might be out here...100, 500, 1000, 10,000If I were doing the data mining, I would find out how many Project Magenta customers there are...then I would cross check with FDS customers and see if I can get a feel for this builder population...does anyone know or care?If I had to guess, I would say about 1000 worldwide...any other guesses?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>If I were doing the data mining, I would find out how many>Project Magenta customers there are...then I would cross check>with FDS customers and see if I can get a feel for this>builder population...does anyone know or care?I don't think that you get good numbers from such an analysis.While I could imagine that ~99% of FDS customers are also PM users,you cannot use this as a basis to judge the number of homecockpitbuilders. There are probably way more PM users not building a cockpit,while, on the other side, not all cockpitbuilders use FDS stuff.Then, who do you count as a homecockpitbuilder ?- there are people who have a fully enclosed cockpit where you can tell exactly what aircraft its based on- some build a tiny throttle unit that sits next to their desk, nothing more.- some haven't built anything yet, but do lots of research and planning- then some people build custom cockpits that are used for real training, military, and tv/movies... and of course everybody in between.... so who would you count in?>If I had to guess, I would say about 1000 worldwide...any>other guesses?I'd say its a good start for a round number. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were more.Disclaimer: All numbers above are raw guesses, so I might be totally off.Manuel

Interesting question...and one that entrepreneurs wonder all the time.Before answering the question, Manuel asks a VERY GOOD question: we need a definition, what is a cockpit builder? I would propose that the following 2 definitions be adopted:=================================================================I. a HOMEBUILT COCKPIT is defined as a physical reconstruction of any or all parts of an aircraft cockpit or flightdeck for the purpose of flight simulation that occurs for private, non-commercial use. Such reconstruction will have, at a minimum, (a)a physical means of controlling the simulated flight of the aircraft recognized as a flight control, such as a yoke, joystick, rudder pedals, etc. (B)a visual means of establishing flight progression, such as an instrument panel or an external view. ©an enclosure of the simulation environment, such as a full cockpit housing, a box housing of the instruments and controls or a space dedicated to the use of the simulator. (d)construction that must occur at a private residence or in a non-commercial establishment. Construction at a commercial establishment must be for non-commercial use of private individuals.II. A HOMEBUILT COCKPIT BUILDER is defined as a person, or group of persons, who are engaged in one, or more, of the following activities: (a) Detailed and Documented Planning for the construction of a HOMEBUILT COCKPIT that may include a functioning website (:( Purchase, Acquisition or Assembly of parts and components that will, one day, constitute a HOMEBUILT COCKPIT © Operating and maintaining a functional HOMEBUILT COCKPIT.=================================================================I think that helps define what a 'home cockpit builder' is. Now, on to the question of 'HOW MANY'The answer is 35,200.How do I know...? I don't know for sure, because I can't crawl into every garage and basement around the world. However, I do know that there are roughly 100 documented websites about HBC's. An average of 2 people are involved in each (100*2=200)There are over 25 MILLION copies of MSFS, and possibly another 10M of other flight sim software sold. You have to assume that at least 1% of these users put a housing over a set of yokes and pedals and pretend to be in a real plane. This is a HOMEBUILT COCKPIT! (1%*35M=350,000). Of these, there are probably 1% that are active cockpit builders, per the definition above. (350,000*1% = 35,000).There may be overlap...but my guess is that you add the two together and you get the probable population. What is interesting is that there are roughly 600 members of this forum...but not all fit the definition of HOMEBUILT COCKPIT BUILDER!Cheers! :)

That indeed is a number of interest. Certainly I am very interested to know.I have about 185 links to simpit sites. This is not an all inclusive list. A number of builders have posted pictures on the PM site for example, but do not have sites of there own. Further, there are surely builders who are not represented on the web at all. If we use the nominal "membership" in this thread over the last several months as a proxy, we might very roughly estimate 1 in 10 people pursuing home building of cockpits to have a site. This leads to a very rough total population estimate of 1850 people.This is undoubtedly low as I have relatively few non-English language sites in my list. Yet I know there is a very strong European presence in the hobby. Indeed, interest in the hobby seems worldwide. As yet another very rough estimate, the above 1850 may be low by, what, half???Leading to a rather soft estimate in the area of 4000 builders.How's that for "scientific" hogwash? Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Hard to extrapolateAs I knew there's in Netherland about 20 buildersand about 30 in spainI believe less than 15 in SwitzerlandBOB