Sign in to follow this  
Guest bowingic

100" Bigscreen TV.....Too Good to be True?

Hi allOn Ebay there is an advertisement for a 6X Fresnel lens and plans to build a projected 100" display for AUS$15. Another supplier estimates the cost of building to be another US$20. See example athttp://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dllVie...23&category=174I checked previous forum entries re fresnel lens but couldn't see anything related to this sort of claim. My question is, has anybody tried this or a similar product? Some of the pictures look really good but it can't be true...or can it???Any help appreciatedIan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The answer is DON'T DO IT!These have been tried and tested by a lot of people, but the results are always far from satisfactory. The idea is that you use your existing tv to project the image, but in reality the amount of light from your tv is far too low to be of any use, even when it's in a completely dark enclosure. Turn the lights off and look at the light the tv throws against a wall for an example of how dim the light is.I did experiment with the same principle myself once when I bought a fresnel lens for a completely different project, and was somewhat appalled by the poor quality it gave.My advice to you is to forget what the salesman claims, the pictures they use are with a normal projector, not their own product. Buy a normal projector instead!

I SECOND THAT! - DON'T WASTE THE $!What you get is the following:- A 8"x10" plastic fresnel lens (value ~$5)- 'plans' to build a frame that will house the lens and connect to the tv...for 'projection' onto a screen.This is a VERY weak picture (but, yes, it can be large) with a LOT of work to put together and useless results, unless you are a Cat with very sensitive eyes...!Save your money for a monitor or projector.

Thanks GuysYou have confirmed my own thoughts re: the amount of light....as they say "there's nothing for free in this world!"CheersIan