Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gregg580

Video Card/Driver Help

Slightly off topic, but perhaps another simmer can help me on this one...My old hard drive crashed, so I put in a new one and re-installed everything. O/S is Win 98SE.I'm using a Riva TNT2 64 Series video card. Trouble is that whenever I do a "cold boot" my Nvidia drivers don't load. Instead I get a message saying that new hardware has been detected (the monitor). When I get that message I click 'cancel', which brings me to the desktop. I then re-install the Nvidia drivers and all works fine. (Even though I click cancel, the standard VGA driver still gets loaded so I can still see the destop).Interesting thing is that if i "restart" the computer everything works fine... the Nvidia drivers get detected when the computer loads.It's only when I do a full shut-down or cold boot that the computer can't find the Nvidia drivers.Any ideas?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

When you cold boot.... have the Win98SE disk available. When it sees your monitor as new hardware, put in the disk and have windows "look for the drivers and choose to look on cdrom option. Uncheck everything else. It should install the drivers for a default monitor, and you should not keep seeing this come up. Been there just today. Flushed a system for a friend. The other option would find and install the drivers available for the monitor., Sony, Relisys, IMG, what ever...but the generic window ones will do just fine. Good luck.and always.......