Sign in to follow this  
Guest rici

Analog Guages

Hi all,I have seen a lot of homebuilt cockpits, and they are all glass I guesss because of the convenience of using a computer monitor. I was wondering if it would be possible to build a sim full of analog guages such as the DC-10 or L1011 etc? Would that be possible, I mean the guys at cranebank do it right ;-)One thing that has always confused me is the simulation of the aircraft systems. If I was making a 747 200 simulator for example, how would I make it all 'work'? When I hit the switches, what would be on the other side of them??? Would I have to write my own program or something? And what would I use as a flight model? It's all very well having a complete cockpit but I don't understand what goes on behind the switches!!!Thanks, Richard. An abvious newbie!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes, you can go an "All analogue gauges" route if you want. See www.simkits.com as an example of physical gauges you can make. It is, of course, a lot more complex than going with a 'glass cockpit' style. Now, as to what goes "behind" the simulator hardware, the usual answer is Microsoft Flight Simulator. There are 'pits using Fly! and X-Plane, but MSFS is probably the software behind more than 90% of non-commercial simulator cockpits.Now, the real tricky bit is what goes between the hardware of the pit and MSFS :)There's lots of options for interfaces. Do a search for FSBUS, for BetaInnovations, OpenCockpit and Hagstrom. Many different people use different systems or mixes of systems. Reading down through the threads on this forum will give you a lot of the basics. Another great source for beginner info is www.mikesflightdeck.com.Richard

Making the "logic" behind the panels has now become 90% or more possible with the fsbus software. Check the posts concerning CCC here lately. Perhaps you will understand what we are talking about.Then analogue doesn't always mean stricktly that you have to build phisical gauges like simkits.. check out my system with a monitor where maybe I don't have all gauges but I have all that are essential.http://www.fokker50.be.tf

Ok thanks for that! Those links should keep me busy for a while at least! I'm still not too sure of how would go about recreating the system logic (Maybe because I have not had enough time to go through the links yet!)With CCC then, you can faithfully recreate ANY system in ANY aircraft? You can say, push an IDG disconect switch, and then loose all the assosiated systems on that bus when you disconect the bus ties? Thats pretty cool! Can you even recreate silly little things such as potable water?Also what do you use to actually 'fly' in FS2004? Would you use an A225 add on? How do you make sure that the flight model (stall speeds, fuel consumption, handling characteristics etc) is correct?That F50 look well cool! Good Job.Sorry for the dumb questions guys :-(Ri chard