Sign in to follow this  
Guest Erups

Rotary encoders decoding made easy 2

Guest Erups

I just discovered a very stupid thing, that i don't know why, hasn't been publicized before...It's that FSBUS supports rotary encoders!Yeah!That's true.Almost any encoder works with fsbus!Best results are obtained with encoders that have an equal number of pulses and detents (unlike mine), but the others do work anyway.Enjoy

Um, can you clarify a bit? The "Knitter" and "Alps" encoders do work, yeah, since those have the rotation direction split to different pins depending on which direction you turn.Do you mean you can use the phase-shifted ones without using the "redec" circuit? Which ones? Model number? Screenshot of your config? Photo of the wiring? More info! :)//Tuomas

Guest Erups

HmmmA photo won't give it out, as you could only see it working in a video.Anyway i currently have farnell number 733 738 1 which is an ALPS model EC11E304B, you can find it's output diagram at page 5, top left of the same doc i posted above.As you can see EC11E has "middle" detents, when compared to "EC11B".This means that when using the encoder, half the steps do not make anything.So when you look for an encoder to work with FSBUS, it must have equal number of pulses and detents (this one has 30/15 for example).

>Hmmm>A photo won't give it out, as you could only see it working in>a video.>Anyway i currently have farnell number 733 738 1 which is an>ALPS model EC11E304B, you can find it's output diagram at page>5, top left of the same doc i posted above.>As you can see EC11E has "middle" detents, when compared to>"EC11B".>This means that when using the encoder, half the steps do not>make anything.>So when you look for an encoder to work with FSBUS, it must>have equal number of pulses and detents (this one has 30/15>for example).Hmm. Interesting. I dont see a document or a pic though.But I found this very interesting too when searching for the encoder on mouser.com: another ALPS encoder with model number EC11EBB24C03 is a dual-concentric rotary encoder (phase shifted) with integrated pushbutton on the inner knob, costs $6.20 a piece on mouser - the only drawback is a minimum order of 1200.. But *maybe* those could be found somewhere? This would be ideal for a GPS panel, or also for radios..Can you post your config for fsbus? What "mode" for encoder do you use? Alps? Knitter? rotary switch mode? Any other options you used?//Tuomas

Guest Erups

I just hooked up my encoder to my fskey card, and configured the default altitude knob in the default MCP group, to "alps".No other options.Of the three pins of the encoder, the middle goes to one ground, the other two, to two consecutive inputs of the fskey card (so you can use 0-1, 2-3, 4-5. 6-7; not 1-2 for example).You can see it in operation [a href=http://web.tiscali.it/erupter/DSCN1842.MOV]here[/a]

>I just hooked up my encoder to my fskey card, and configured>the default altitude knob in the default MCP group, to>"alps".>No other options.>Of the three pins of the encoder, the middle goes to one>ground, the other two, to two consecutive inputs of the fskey>card (so you can use 0-1, 2-3, 4-5. 6-7; not 1-2 for>example).>You can see it in operation [a>href=http://web.tiscali.it/erupter/DSCN1842.MOV]here[/a]So I tried it and it sort of works - it goes ++-++-++-++-++-++- "up" and --+--+--+--+--+--+ "down" so the "end result" is correct, but it seems to jump the value a lot, and thus there is a long delay in FS if I want to set the CRS or QNH altimeter value..Does it do that for you as well?//Tuomas

So, I got it to work pretty nicely. But I had to set the encoder type to "Knitter" - I just wonder if this is something that depends on some exact timing values being accidentally right, or what? Anyway, here it works with rotary type as Knitter. Go figure.. Interesting in any case, as phase-shifted rotaries are cheaper and also a lot smaller in size. And now if we dont even need the REDEC circuit, this smells good.//Tuomas

Guest Erups

I have a delay (you can see in the video) but i notice that it is reduced if i increase the readback delay for the variable in the FSIF.ini.For example putting the scan delay to 8000, get me rid of the "delayed" effect when adjusting...About the ++-++-++- and --+--+--+ yes i have it too... but i can't complain if i can use encoders without any other hassle ;)I will try the knitter type and see what happens

Guest nauwa

I have succseefully connected 2 rotarys this way, but when I connect more of them, all but the first two just step in one direction, +++++++ or -------. Does anybody have success with more than 2 rotarys? I have prepared REDec circuit but it would really be nice to connect all rotarys direct.Johan

Guest Erups

I only tried one at a time, so i don't know.But the second 2 on a row have to have the pins inverted in respect to the other two...IF i remember correctly.And anyway, the fact that they work is due to a "casuality" in a timed routine, it may well be that using more screws the timing of this routine makeing the rest non working.

Guest mondo

I have bought many Alps rotary encoders from Mouser. I have never been asked to purchase 1200. Their minimum order is normally 1. That is here in the US anyway. The ones I have bought for testing were only $1.47 each. Very cheap for building dual rotaries. I run mine as Knitters and they work fine. Solder the two outside contacts the postive side of the key board and the center post to the negative side. Remember, only one rotary per bank, so only 8 rotaries are possible on one key card. (I tink!!!). Let me know about that if I am wrong. Milt

Guest mmorrell

Can you show a simple drawing of how you got this to work without REDAC? I was just literally heading out the door to buy components to build the REDAC curcuits when I saw these posts.Thanks

Guest Going around

Is this product (EC11EBB24C03) a gray type encoder suitable for use with IO cards?Geoff