Sign in to follow this  
Guest steku

Two questions about FSUIPC

Guest steku

I asked two questions concerning FSUIPC on Pete Dowson's forum. Pete reacted as always immediately but without immediate solutions, because my problems are oriented directly to cockipt building.First question concerns phase shifted rotaries and possibility of detecting turn direction by FSUIPC programming (and especially using one commom input for one pair of contacts on all rotaries).The second question is about "fight" between autopilot in ALT (or APR) mode and analogue trim wheel.Maybe somebody of you will be able to clarify these problems:http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=25518Steku

Guest Ceawlin BSX029

First question: Don't you need a rotary encoder/decoder for that? It depends on what hardware you're using to interface with MSFS. If you're using FSBus, IOCards or EPIC, or anything else for that matter, you may need a redec board. If you're connecting them to a gameport, or USB joystick, I doubt very much they would work without extra circuitry.Second question: I suppose it depends on what aircraft you're flying. For example, the Boeings in MSFS seem to adjust the trim wheels automatically on autopilot, so your best bet would be to either leave it alone, or connect it to a servo motor and let it self-adjust according to the autopilot :)

It is possible that you could have input circuitry that directly reads the direction of turn based on AB or BA outputs from a rotary, and even that you could common, say, all the 'A' inputs to save connections.However.... that would be a complicated process. The usual way to use a rotary is with a decoder, such as the FSBUS REDEC or Leo's RD-PAN. Either of these solutions results in an A A A A signal if the rotary is turned one way or a B B B B signal if turned the other, so the idea of commoning one pair wouldn't help.Richard