Sign in to follow this  
Guest Binkles

Wiring a Toggle Switch

Guest Binkles

Just want to check that I get this right, I've got a toggle switch that I want to wire into the key system of FSBus.It's got 6 pins - for a two position system.I'm assuming that the middle two are common, and that I wire the bottom two together, and to one key on the key board and the top two to a different key where as the common will go to both of these?IEThe six pins on the toggle1 12 23 3The pins on the keya by yso the 2s will wire to the ys, 1s will go to a, and 3s to b?Thanks people

>Just want to check that I get this right, I've got a toggle>switch that I want to wire into the key system of FSBus.>>It's got 6 pins - for a two position system.You got a multimeter, right? That helps a lot in this stuff.It is probably a "two pole" switch which basically is two toggles side by side, with a common lever. Thus, "left" 1-2-3 and "right" 1-2-3 are separate. This can be verified easily by probing with a multimeter to see which pins conduct at which positions. This kind of switch can be useful, for example, if you want to wire "panel lights" switch to FS so it effects your gauge lighting on FS, and also lights up your physical map light or something - wire "left" side to FSBUS and "right" side as a 12V light switch or something. But first make sure of course that the switch indeed *is* 2-pole and those sides are indeed separate. But I cannot think of any other reason why it would have 6 pins for a 2-position toggle.Anyway, whatever two pins that are connected on one position of the switch and disconnect when you flip it are enough. FSBUS only cares about 1 signal per switch. If it is ON, it cannot be OFF. And if it is OFF, it wont be ON.* So I guess pin 1 and 2 are enough. If it "flips" the wrong way around, use 2-3 (or just check the Inverted setting in FSBUS)//Tuomas(* and yes, I know sometimes this can be a bit off sync initially, so it is good to flip switches when starting up the sim to get stuff initialized correctly - this is a known problem and Dirk knows about it, will be fixed in the future so that fsbus initializes each switch when it starts)