Sign in to follow this  
Guest copilots

The new guy needs some help!!

Guest copilots

Hey everyone,I've decided I want to build a 777 'pit, and I've done a bit of looking around, so I know its going to cost a bit, and I work on the principle that if its got to be done, it should be done properly. ie. I'm looking for as much realism as I can get and trying to ignore my bank manager screaming down the phone!!I went to Flight Deck Solutions, Project Magenta, and Pro MFD (http://promfd.cjb.net/). As far as I can tell thats all the displays and panels (switches, knobs, lights etc.) done. I'm sorting a shell out myself, but what else do I need? For example, MCP, the actual computer part of the CDUs, and so on.For the visual system I was thinking about using 5 projectors (left FWD-left, FWD, FWD-right, right). Anybody got a better idea?I like using Gary Summons airports, with the VFR Photographic Scenery for England, VFR Terrain - England and Wales, and Ultimate Traffic, with all the settings to the max, including weather. What kind of computer system(s) would I need to be able to handle that kind of detail and 5 projectors without breaking a sweat?No idea what to use for the audio. I was thinking two systems:1. Two separate speakers for the ATC, NAV, etc.2. Bigger system, surround sound probably, which provides, engines, ground rumble, environment, etc.I would like the yoke and throttles to move when the autopilot makes inputs. I know this can be done, but how?Finally, how real can I make this? What I'm looking for is something like the PMDG 737 NG package but scaled up to a full simulator for the 777, maybe even adding motion at some later date.Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.Cheers.Amman Tiwana.

Guest captain777

Amman,You sound like you are on the right path...and certainly asking the right questions. The only problem is..there are no 'right' answers. Everyone builds according to the resources available to them and their personal 'style'. Some like full MSFS with PMDG, others like Project Magenta. Some like projectors, others like big monitors. Some like motion...ok..everyone LIKES motion...but few can afford it! :)So..my recommendation is to go way back to JANUARY 2004 in the forum and simply scan thru the threads...you'll learn a lot about what works/doesn't work.If you want some 777 pit builders...check out my site, www.777project.com (i'm behind on updates!) as well as Robert Prather's site, www.777simulator.net and a great site at www.project777.com. For more pits in general...check out www.hsbregistry.comGood Luck!

Guest copilots

Ok, thanks for the links mate. Can't wait to get started!!Cheers,Amman.P.S.Nice site by the way.

Guest cwbalmer

i have a few bits too on www.pitbuilder.com...:-)

Guest captain777

so modest! :-)I have to RUN to keep up with you!

Basically if you want 5 projectors, you are looking onto 5 computers capable of displaying the scenery you describe. Or one with Matrox Parhelia + 2 others (or a combo of those) - linked together with WideView.Start with one view. Build in stages and plan well, see and study how others have done it, then think for yourself. There could be a smarter way, but nobody just hasnt figured it out yet. Ask questions, read www.mikesflightdeck.com and all the other sim cockpit stuff you can find.And good luck :)//Tuomas

Guest cwbalmer

Cap777 - keep up with who?

Guest captain777

with YOU!! Your progress recently has been great!(we need more pictures!)Hope all is well.