Sign in to follow this  
Guest findtech

Magnetic Sidestick

Guest findtech

Take a look at [A HREF=http://www.ft.bs.dlr.de/flugsystemtechnik/activities/3/1/inhalt_e.htm]this[/A]. Now that would be pretty cool to include in some sort of cockpit. Simpit builders attempt to come up with better cockpit designs than the major aircraft manufacturers anyone? :)

Guest SHORT360

It is very interesting. It seems to be made like air-core gauges. I am from far not an expert in electronic so I have a question to our gurus in that field.Based on that ( I guess Air-core movement), would it be possible to find heavy windings an apply that theory to columns and yokes ???Question to Mike Powell: I seems to me that this approach could be more efficient than my DC geared motor approach for my "control loading" project, does'nt it??GreetingsRoger

Guest Erups

It is sufficient to use HALL effect sensors.Many comes in packages complitely interchangeable with potentiometers.They have an output in tension proportional to the angle of a magnet.Easy enough to implement as the output can be directly substituted to potentiometers.Infact a "common" modification for the already costly ThrustMaster Cougar joystick, is to substitute pots with hall sensors.Less friction resulting in longer lasting of the components, no need for cleaning as they are closed components and more precision.

Guest SHORT360

Claudio,I was probably unclear in my reply to that thread. I am interested in the "Control Loading effect" generated by this Side Stick.CheersRoger

Guest MikePowell

Roger,It's a possibility. I don't know if the technology can be economically scaled to column mounted flight controls, but it is an intriguing thought. Even if it could not, using this in concert with a motor could yield a very neat loading system. The motor could supply the lower frequency loading component, while the magnetic system could supply a lower force, but higher frequency component. This way you could reflect control surface flutter and buzz back to the controls. The very powerful neodymium magnet assembles used in disk drives are now showing up on the surplus market. They would seem to offer a good starting point for someone wishing to experiment in this area.WOW! There are so many really neat things to work with in this hobby!Thank you Findtech for posting the link.Mikewww.mikesflightdeckbooks.com

Guest SHORT360

Mike,It is indeed very intriguing. After looking at that internet site, I was really possessed. I think also for a combination of both, motor and magnet assembles. I am still waiting for the servo driver and will of course post all new tests I am gonna made in that field. I will definitly land with an economical but viable solution before Christmas....as a gift!Thanks for your "lights" as usualRegardsRoger