Sign in to follow this  
Guest danowar

FSBUS, FSKEY button assignments?

I have been reading this forum for weeks now trying to decided the best way to go about starting my simpit. I have decided on FSBUS, becuase it looks fairly easy to build, and there is tons of support for it.I have a question reguarding rotary encoders. According to several posts I have read, a phase shifted rotary encoder can be decoded by FSUIPC if you just have it hooked up to joystick buttons, without a REDec. This is a great feature since I am trying to keep my budget low, and cannot afford enough rotary pulse switches to do the job I want. My question is, can a switch be assigned to emulate a joystick button in the FSBUS router? If so, am I correct in assuming you could then assign the joystick button to whatever you want within FSUIPC, and FSUIPC would take care of the decoding for you?I DL'd the router to look around at what it could do, but didn't dig real far into it. The panel I am making is a replica of a Garmin GNS530 gps and the other avionics panels to go with it. The delema there, is that the router doesn't have offsets for that panel. Can the router assign a key command to you switches? Then I can go in a configure the keycommand to control the panel with FSUIPC.Since my whole project is based around this panel, I is important to me that FSBUS can do the things I need before I buy all the parts. I NEED to have FSBUS assign my switchs to keyboard commands, not just the offsets. I will be using offsets also.Dano

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>I have been reading this forum for weeks now trying to>decided the best way to go about starting my simpit. I have>decided on FSBUS, becuase it looks fairly easy to build, and>there is tons of support for it.>>I have a question reguarding rotary encoders. According to>several posts I have read, a phase shifted rotary encoder can>be decoded by FSUIPC if you just have it hooked up to joystick>buttons, without a REDec. This is a great feature since I am>trying to keep my budget low, and cannot afford enough rotary>pulse switches to do the job I want. >>My question is, can a switch be assigned to emulate a joystick>button in the FSBUS router? If so, am I correct in assuming>you could then assign the joystick button to whatever you want>within FSUIPC, and FSUIPC would take care of the decoding for>you?Unfortunately not possible as far as I know.What you can do is get a cheapo usb gamepad and re-wire its buttons for your use, or check out the "MJoy" or whatever the new usb thingy was that used an atmel microcontroller - or do Leo's "Plasma MiniME" that gives you 12 buttons. Those are fairly easy to build as well, definitely the same league with fsbus, perhaps even easier since you dont need to etch the circuit boards.Or just use those cheap 12-step rotary switches and construct the "dual concentric" rotary from them - the excellent tutorial that combines the ideas we all sort of came up with at the same time is in www.opencockpits.com>I DL'd the router to look around at what it could do, but>didn't dig real far into it. The panel I am making is a>replica of a Garmin GNS530 gps and the other avionics panels>to go with it. The delema there, is that the router doesn't>have offsets for that panel. Can the router assign a key>command to you switches? Then I can go in a configure the>keycommand to control the panel with FSUIPC.The FSBUS router does not have offsets predefined for a lot of stuff by default. However, you can add more yourself - get the FSUIPC SDK and see the "FSUIPC for Programmers.DOC" - it lists the offsets, their size (byte, word etc) and other information - then add those yourself to "myfsif.ini" inside fsbus directory. The numbering on myfsif.ini needs to start from zero (or maybe it was 1, cannot remember right now) and the syntax follows the fsif.ini convention - see there for examples. When you add something new, compare it to something that already exists in fsif.ini that has the same size etc and use similar notation.The idea of myfsif.ini is that it is not overwritten if a new version of the fsbus router gets installed.And once you do those, please share with us :) More offsets are good, there was someone who already did some of this, but I think it didnt contain the GPS commands.//Tuomas

A few weeks ago I bought 40 Alps phase shifted rotary encoders for $35USD at www.alpsstore.com ...... I thought that was VERY CHEAP!!!!!Gus B