Sign in to follow this  

FS2002 ATC/Altitude Pb ?

Hi all,I wanted to ask if some of you encountered this little problem, which isn't so annoying finally :Each time i contact a controller, he telle me something like "radar contact [....], current altimeter 2992" this sounds good, but every time i contact a controller, he tells me my altitude is actually 2992, whatever my altitude is at this moment.I heard controllers telling this to AI pilots too, i know this is a detail, but ... am i the only one who have this problem, do i have to change my regional settings or something else ?(I'm actually using US settings, to 'speak' in feet and not in meters but ...)Thanks by advance.

Guest ColdBear

It's NOT a problem =) the controler is just giving u the QNH setting for the airport =)

You're misunderstanding the controller, He is giving you your altitude. What he says is "current altimeter, 29.92" What he is giving you is the current barometric pressure in his control area so that you can adjust your altimeter to give an accurate altitude reading. Unless you set this manually in the weather system, or download real weather, FS will always use the "standard" sea level barometric pressure of 29.92"An altimeter is based on the idea that air pressure drops at a constant rate with altitude. They work by sensing the current outside air pressure and comparing it to the standard sea level pressure and displaying the difference as the altitude of the plane. Obviously, the real barometric pressure is any area is rarely exactly 29.92 so the altimeter would give a false altitude reading unless it was adjusted for the actual local conditions. Most altimeters have a small windows on the right side of the dial that shows the current setting (some newer types use a digital readout.) Turn the knob on the front of the unit until the number in the window matches the value given to you by the controller (in FS you can just hit the "b" key.)Try using some real world weather to here some variation from the controllers and see the way the altimeter changes when adjusted.

>You're misunderstanding the controller, He is giving you >your altitude. What he says is "current altimeter, 29.92" >What he is giving you is the current barometric pressure in >his control area so that you can adjust your altimeter to >give an accurate altitude reading. Unless you set this >manually in the weather system, or download real weather, FS >will always use the "standard" sea level barometric pressure >of 29.92" Hehe ... terribly sorry for this question, i already read something in a french simulation magazine about altimeter ajustment, but i didn't realize it was this value ...I was thinking this value could have something to do with the little know beside the altimeter hehe ... so it was really...Thanks a lot for your quick answers, i feel less stupid now :)... and excuse this newbie question ...(really have too many things to learn/read about flying, but it's fascinating)