Sign in to follow this  
Guest perchas

Dual and Triple Rotary Encoders

>So for the mastercard I organized 2-bit gray code encoders,>for the time being CTS-288. They work well. But I'd like to>build again a dual concentric, but without using gears or>other crazy ideas. I like very much the solution from Raphael.>But in the report he is not telling us which type / brand of>encoder he used. Anyway, time will find out. I found some>datasheet and I am pretty much sure that this is a Bourns>ECW1J-B24-BC0006 or similar.>>I almost understood the gray code. But what about the>pulses/rev.? For IOCards, does it need to be 6 pulses/rev?>What if according a datasheet there are 24 pulses/rev.?Yeah, the encoders are bourns.The -006 is the correct one. This means, only one step of the code happens between one "click" of the knob. The -024 (24 pulses) does the whole 00 -> 01 -> 11 -> 10 ... -cycle (4 changes) during the one click. This becomes too fast for iocards.There is this interesting one too: http://tigert.com/aviation/vatsim/cockpit-...low-encoder.jpgIt has a hole in the middle; one just needs to glue a 5mm outer diameter pipe into the hole after "roughening" the inside of the encoder hole to prevent the glue breaking free and slipping later on.//T

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Very nice info here!I wonder where could I find those Bourns ESD0D-S00-GC0006 in Europe?George DorkofikisAthens, Hellas

Guest MajorFibbs

I'm in the process to find a supplier. Not easy indeed.- Conrad / Germany (no go)- Mercato / Germany (no go, wrong type)- Distrelec / Switzerland (no go, wrong type)- Mouser / USA (yes)But isn't the world a village? So why not ordering overseas.Hope our spanish friends let us know from where they get theirs.For those interested look at the Bourns brochure:http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/bourns_encoder_short_form.pdfI just contacted Bourns here in Switzerland. They will send me a list of distributors. Too bad my mother "already" is retired, she once worked for Bourns.Regards - Valentin

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

So widely used (modern car radios, dvds, amplifiers etc) yet so hard to find as a part...Buying from the US would be my last option. Not only the postage will be at least twice the price of the products but I would also have to worry about custom clearance and taxes paid here which in some cases could reach 100% of the value (the value the customs officer THINKS is right!).So a purchase of about 20USD could easily end up like 100USD!If bought from within Europe, customs are already included in the price, and the only thing to worry about is the postage.George DorkofikisAthens, Hellas

>So widely used (modern car radios, dvds, amplifiers etc) yet>so hard to find as a part...>>Buying from the US would be my last option. Not only the>postage will be at least twice the price of the products but I>would also have to worry about custom clearance and taxes paid>here which in some cases could reach 100% of the value (the>value the customs officer THINKS is right!).>So a purchase of about 20USD could easily end up like 100USD!>>If bought from within Europe, customs are already included in>the price, and the only thing to worry about is the postage.Well, the USD is weak now. Also, with Mouser they put the invoice there which pretty much does it with the "how much is this worth?" -question. The sucky part is you end up paying tax and VAT for the shipping too.Usually the customs is very small percentage, the VAT is the bigger part. For Finland for example, it's 22%. But considering that $100 is 80 euros, it's quite closely just that. So you just pay a bit more for postage.Mouser is quite a bit cheaper than Conrad or ELFA anyway.//Tuomas

Guest perchas

Hi Valentin,Send me a email, amount you need.The price is 15,00 Euros the Dual, include the all Grey knobs and Nut.In 4 Week are ready.Me email is " karmo-at-telefonica.net " to replace -at- by @SaludosRafael

Guest MajorFibbs

Heureka. Thank you very much.I had a very hard time to find suppliers in Switzerland, but found some and called them up. The drawback is they ship but only large quantities, like 45 or more is the minimum.Your product is very attractive, also in terms of costs. I drop you an e-mail.At least for now the problem is solved. Thanks again, Raphael.__Greetings from Switzerland

>Heureka. Thank you very much.>>I had a very hard time to find suppliers in Switzerland, but>found some and called them up. The drawback is they ship but>only large quantities, like 45 or more is the minimum.>>Your product is very attractive, also in terms of costs. I>drop you an e-mail.>>At least for now the problem is solved. Thanks again,>Raphael.Yeah. Rafael's encoder construction is very reasonably priced and well done. Very clever idea.Now, speaking of encoders, does anyone know of IOCARDS compatible (ie, the same kind of encoders electronically) SMALL encoders that I could use for a GA instrument panel knobs.I have a TFT monitor for gauges, and a plywood panel in front of it, with round holes for all the basic gauges (no g1000 glass cockpit for me at this time).The problem is to find SMALL enough encoders that can be fit in the panel without pushing the TFT too much behind. Suggestions are welcome :) I can of course put a "side panel" below the radio stack with all the important knobs, which will *work* just fine, but it would still be nicer to have the knobs next to the respective gauges instead.//Tuomas

Guest perchas

Hi TuomasThe last week Jose Olliver has sent to Manuel Velez a miniature encoder Bourns and CTS (9X9X4 mm) to see if it can modify the Soft and that works with the PCB of Encoders to fit now in the panel of 5 mm of thickness until both miniatures that we have proven do not work with IOCARD.SaludosRafaelhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/153641.jpg

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Rafael,Where can we find knobs like those you use? Plain for single rotaries and concernic for the radios?Would appreciate if you could point us.Thanks!George DorkofikisAthens, Hellas

Guest jollive

Tuomas: I send two encoders to Manuel Velez (the designer of IOCards) for test them with the encoder card. They are the CTS 290 series and Bourns PEC11 series. They are small encoders. Manuel say that he will worked in the microchip program for adapt this encoders. I am waiting his answer. I post his answer here as soon as possible.Jose Olliver

Guest perchas

Hi GeorgeThese knobs have specially made them for my encoders, the diameters of the axes are different from estandar size. You need to buy a minimum amount of 300 knobs of each model.SaludosRafael

>Tuomas:> I send two encoders to Manuel Velez (the designer of>IOCards) for test them with the encoder card. They are the CTS>290 series and Bourns PEC11 series. They are small encoders.>Manuel say that he will worked in the microchip program for>adapt this encoders. I am waiting his answer. I post his>answer here as soon as possible.Awesome.I had some very small Panasonic encoders too without detents and I think it somewhat worked. The problem seems to be that the waveform output is a bit different, or that the number of pulses per turn is just too big.But lets hope for the best. The panel-mounted encoder problem is very real for general aviation plane builders. I have the Sandell EHSI from RealityXP for example that will need knobs, (and very small pushbuttons!!) in addition to the "normal" knobs for altimeter QNH setting and VOR /ADF.It's been a bit slow here lately due to very nice summer and a lot of nice flying weather fortunately.. Oh by the way, if you want to look at some GA pics, check this:http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1088836/L/That's the newest plane available to our aviation club, and it's pretty slick and cute.. the pic is from a short local flight to a nearby airport, taken from another plane piloted by a friend. I'm at the left seat of the Diamond there.More pics here: http://tigert.1g.fi/kuvat/MIK/FDA-Air-to-Air/ (photos again by my friend, flying and taking pics does not quite work at the same time.. ;-P)Thanks for the efforts folks, I really enjoy the community spirit here :)//Tuomas

Guest perchas

Hi allSome colleagues have requested to me who make of EFIS: A commutator of two positions at 60

Guest luxair_ca

hellocan you send me an email, concerning this new encoder (EFIS) you made. I am interested in buying them for my panel project. thanks a lotMarcLuxembourgluxair_ca@yahoo.com