Sign in to follow this  
Lillebe

Homemade Yoke

Hello everybody.It has been for a while. As some of you might remember me from my 737-project. Anyway, that project is on

Guest MikePowell

Welcome back! That's a very informative sequence of pictures and a solid looking project. Thanks!Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comwww.mikesflightdeckbooks.com

Guest CaptnKebec

Looks great,I'm looking forward to the wiring part of the project.I had done my yoke a couple of years ago with spare parts I had,like roller skate wheels and beering and a keyboard drawer track!Was working well but your setup seems more sturdy, I'll probably remake mine based on your example.Good work.

Guest Cardifman

I thought about doing this as well. That is very impressive Joni. I have an old CH gameport flight yoke (as well as rudder pedals) lying around and was going to copy Simkits yoke design. I was going to put it on hold for a while but after seeing what you have achieved I think will take another look at it. Very neat and tidy construction. How smooth does the yoke feel? Are you using FSUIPC to fine tune everything?Rhydianwww.cessnasim.blogspot.com

>I thought about doing this as well. That is very impressive>Joni. I have an old CH gameport flight yoke (as well as rudder>pedals) lying around and was going to copy Simkits yoke>design. I was going to put it on hold for a while but after>seeing what you have achieved I think will take another look>at it. Very neat and tidy construction. >>How smooth does the yoke feel? Are you using FSUIPC to fine>tune everything?>>Rhydian>www.cessnasim.blogspot.comHi Rhydian,Actually, it feels really smooth. I am satisfied and satisfied. I

Guest gremel

Great Pic's....and good job. It's unbelievable that CH Products Inc. or whatever they are just can't produce a product that is halfway realistic. The market for a better yoke & rudder system is here but nobody at CH Products is LISTENING....Too bad....because a lot of people would be willing to pay more for a halfway decent yoke & rudder. The current one's S***.jack

>Great Pic's....and good job. It's unbelievable that CH>Products Inc. or whatever they are just can't produce a>product that is halfway realistic. The market for a better>yoke & rudder system is here but nobody at CH Products is>LISTENING....There's Precision Flight Controls (www.flypfc.com) that produces pretty decent yokes.The problem is, most people then again scream at the $500+ pricetag.Plastic is cheap to make, decent metal stuff costs more to manufacture.//Tuomas

Guest gremel

>>Great Pic's....and good job. It's unbelievable that CH>>Products Inc. or whatever they are just can't produce a>>product that is halfway realistic. The market for a better>>yoke & rudder system is here but nobody at CH Products is>>LISTENING....>>There's Precision Flight Controls (www.flypfc.com) that>produces pretty decent yokes.>>The problem is, most people then again scream at the $500+>pricetag.>>Plastic is cheap to make, decent metal stuff costs more to>manufacture.>>//Tuomas>Tuomas,Yeah, I know about PFC and their yokes. I bought a 'Cirrus' yoke from them and immediately returned it because it did not come close to what the real hydraulics on a 737NG feel like when they are actuated. Too bad.....They have a column yoke but all of the things I want have serial ports and I doubt that the new computers will support these ports in the future. I frankly can't understand why PFC hasn't come out with the USB interface and update their MCP. There Throttle quad for the 2 engine jet looks terrific, however, I hate to shell out 3995.00 for the Jetliner flight controls, 695.00 for the Advanced twin jet throttle's, 795.00 for the PFC jetliner Yoke and 595.00 for the rudders if they are serial ports...They need to update their systems if they are charging this kind of money. I understand that the A/P on the MCP does not light up and this is the only drawback outside of it not looking like a real MCP for the price...I hope that Engravity gets their act together because there is a real need in this industry for HARDWARE. The current stuff is not up to snuff......Regards,jack

>Yeah, I know about PFC and their yokes. I bought a 'Cirrus'>yoke from them and immediately returned it because it did not>come close to what the real hydraulics on a 737NG feel like>when they are actuated.Well of course, it simulates a light GA plane.>I frankly can't understand why PFC hasn't come out with the>USB interfacehttp://www.flypfc.com/entertainment%20products/jetliner.html"Connectivity: * USB * Serial Port /USB Converter when used with Jetliner Flight Console or Throttle Quadrant Console"I guess if you use those things together, there's extra functionality that requires serial protocol between the equipment or something. But they claim a USB-serial converter should work still.//T

Guest Cardifman

I agree with Gremel on the quality of the CH yoke. mine was working pretty well, until every thing started to wear a bit and now it no longer centres up at all. It was never exactly very precise either. But that is what you get for a yoke costing

Guest deltacharlie58

Nice job on the yoke.Up to now, I have been using a CH yoke, but am very unhappy with the way it sticks and never seems to centre in the same spot.Even though I am a newbie to cockpit building, I am going to attempt to build a yoke using your design and incorporating the potentiometers from the CH yoke (and with them the USB connections). I don't know much about electronics and therefore do not think I should attempt to do any 'wiring' on my own. Any suggestions, advice or schematics would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

If you're just going to re-use the CH pots and electronics, you shouldn't need to do any wiring at all. Just be sure that if you disconnect any of the pots when doing the physical construction, that you reconnect them the same way.Richard

Guest deltacharlie58

I'm thinking about upgrading the pots to a bettter quality as Joni suggested. I'll just wire them in the same way as the one's I take out.Dale