Sign in to follow this  
Guest alymcleod

DC 3 Cockpit

Guest alymcleod

Hi there,I dont know if anybody can help me with this or not. If you have the sizes of the windows of the DC 3 I would be very happy to have them. Also waht is the width across at the top and the bottom outside corners. I want to start building the framework of the overhead, glareshield and windshield of my cockpit.I have been flying with my overhead projector and a second monitor on the same card and the results are quite immersing. The screen size is perhaps a little bit of overkill at 10' 6" (3.3m) but if you've got it use it I guess.basic setup will be Wideview with two pc's. One for the front view with overhead projector, one for dual monitors for flight instruments and engine instruments. I dont really have much to go on at this time. I have however done the instrument panel this morning- the Mk 1 version at any rate!. I have used the old faithfull R4D instruments. Modified the background.bmp's with Photoshop to full screen 1024x768 and resized the flight instruments to 2-1/4 inches (17" screen). I built the panels with "FS Panel Studio" which really is a whiz of a program. It took me a couple of hours to do the Captains Panel and "Shift+2" now brings up the engine panel. Undock the window, resize and shift to the other screen and hey presto! Instant DC3 panel for idiots!! It looks good on two 17" CRTs but I think I would prefer to buy two cheap TFT-LCD's. Never having used them before perhaps some kind soul would give me his/her thoughts on the subject because I seem to remember that TFTs lose clarity when viewed from the side?.I looked into SimKits but the price would be prohibitive for me. Lovely if you can afford them but Ive bought real aeroplanes for less than their Cessna panel kit!! One 19" screen(main flight instruments) and one 17" screen(Engine-Sperry)with aluminium facia and screws and it will look like the mutts' nuts - or good enough for me anyway (Ive seen somebody here on Avsim with a similar Cessna panel). Rotary Knitter switches or similar put on the panel for rotating the OBS Heading bugs etc will be added too. It would be nice with no mice!!When my wallet allows I will buy one of the Sim Boards from Flightdeck Technology. This would save me a lot of time b#ggering about with keyboard emulators etc. I need to build the F/O overhead from scratch with the start panel, booster pump switches, supercharger switches, volt and ammeter etc. The overhead Captains panel is original and I got it off of Ebay about four years ago. The Mag switches (from a PBY 5A) I also bought from Ebay about a year ago. Not the same as MAAMs' 819'er but very similar.The original cockpit seats I was given by a friend.It will NOT be a scale replica but definitely recognisable as that of a DC3. I have the PFC quadrant, CH Yoke and PFC pedals. The engine controls I have removed from the Yoke and plan to use these on a plywood pedestal for Rudder, Elevator and Aileron trim (I also have the original winders and trim wheel from a DC3). Glare shield will be plywood or perhaps ally plate. Windows will be plastic but the framework in welded steel for rigidity to hold the overhead switch panels which are quite heavy. I have an original DC4 yoke but the CH item is more practical having switches which will still be needed for ease of use........maybe not!!With all this tied together with drawing pins, string, bubble gum and FSUIPC I plan to rejoin DC 3 Airways again !!I have so many other projects on the go at the moment between my scale RC aeroplanes and other stuff but I will try to get on with my pit soon.Jeez Im 47.....toy areoplanes........computer games........when will I grow up ??? No wonder Im still single but if Claudia Schiffer is reading this - you can have me if you play yer cards right!__x_(" ")_x__

Guest MikePowell

That's a very impressive sounding project. Do you have a website, or can you post some pictures?Jan Verley (http://home.versateladsl.be/verlejan/) has been working on similar project for some time. He may be able to supply your needed dimensions.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comwww.mikesflightdeckbooks.com

Do you mean your screen diameter is 3,3 meter? That's huge. What kind of projector do you use then?Most projectors I have seen (in real life with presentations and on pic from builderwebsites) give still a rather small image when the screen is only 2 meters away from the cockpitwindow.regardsNorberthttp://home.wanadoo.nl/norbert.bosch/

Guest alymcleod

My goodness! The great mike Powell..........you are one of the Gods of flightsim ;) I have seen your page many times in the past-well done Mike. I do not plan to do something as intricate as yourself and Jan. I have my set-up in my living room-I dont have another room set asside but really, I have too many other toys to spend that much time on it and Im not that much of an engineer anyway. Perhaps I posted this in the wrong place ?? I tried to contact Jan some time ago (3 years ago?) but he was reluctant to give me any info at that time. I might try again though. My sim will have to be mobile enough to wheel asside out of the way so I really just plan on the overhead, windshield, glareshield and panel at the present time. The only thing is as an RC scale modeller, I always get carried away with detail. I think that starting with the right dimensions for the main frame I will be able to add to it over time.Thanks for the thought though MikeHappy flying

Guest alymcleod

Hi Norbert,Good Lord-another letter from one of the Gods!Yes old boy it is big. 3.3m x 2.4m. The projector is an INFOCUS LP530 with a resolution of 1024x768. I have it mounted behind my flying position. My living room is more than 9mts long and the screen I made myself from white fabric with a black backing. The image is very crisp and clear but I guess it might be even better with a professional screen.I have to admit to playing OFF (Over Flanders Fields-the WW1 combat Sim) for about two weeks! just love flying old stuff!! But I hanker after flying to new destinations again with the DC 3 which is my favourite aeroplane.Just remember though boyz! Real aeroplanes have round engines and big props :) :) :)

I am certainly not a god, but I hope you like my project.Do you mean the distance between your projector and the screen is also about 9 meters?. I ask that because I am still in doubt how to do the visuals, (3Head2Go with 3 21 inch widescreen monitors or a projector with a curved mirror). My screen will be 2 meters in front of the cockpit windows. So I am looking for a projector with a wide angle projection. regardsNorbert

>My goodness! The great mike Powell..........you are one of>the Gods of flightsim ;)Hey, we are all here, the thing that separates men from the boys in this hobby is the number of times we have hit our head in the wall, in order to try out different things ;) That's called experience ;)Welcome to the club!//Tuomas