Sign in to follow this  
klim1981

projector/monitor setup?

Dear friends, I like to make my simulaion world more realistic. I have a projector and I am planning to buy an 22" wide screen monitor. My plan is to use the monitor for the panel and the projector for the ouside cockpit view. I am only flying in 2-D mode. Has anyone a good idea to realize this setup? Does anyone has comment on this setup? Maybe it is not a good idea so please let me know.Best RegardsKim

Hi KimOne PC?: then use 2 videocards or one with 2 vga outputs. Then create a big desktop. Put the outside view to the projector and the panels to the 22 inch.2PC`s?: then you should something like freefd,project magenta and use that via a network.(eventualy you will go for the second route, believe me )

Guest kstow26

Kim, Check out a couple of different sites listed below,For Products to be more realistic:www.flyengravity.com (for pre made panels at a great cost)www.cpflight.com (Flight avionics)www.flightillusion.com (Flight gauges)Built simulators using the above sites:www.paulharmer.com/cockpit/ (sim with projector)http://www.abcfamily.com.br/project737ng/simpics_cockpit.htmI currently have a setup like these but i dont have any pics posted online. To have realitc sims is gonna take dual computers with Project Magenta Glass cockpit on dual computers and some Mola . To just run the projector with a base model Flight Sim just get at least a 256mb daul video graphics card and run dual monitor setup. Hook the projector to your secondary 15 D-pin and open your video setting on windows and enable your second monitor. Hope this helps!!:)

I really like the idea of useing a projector and have looked up different ones on the webb. My question is how much is enough,as far as the spec,s of the projectors go and the cost, ie, the more features, the more the cost. Does anybody have any recomendations?Thanks............ Michael

MSFS2020

MICHAEL J     proud supporter

KJAX   FLORIDA

Guest kstow26

Mike, I currently own the HP VP6310 it works like a charm!!.. Just search its specs on google. These are about your best bet for projectors for the price. They usually sell on eBay from 299 to 699.. good luck.Take a look at the contrast keep it over the 1000:1 or you will be flying in the dark most of the time.

Contrast ratio depends also from the darkness of your room.If you are sitting in a dark attick without windows with light coming in , you could use a projector with a lower contrast ratio. In a lighted livingroom , you will need more.I am sitting in a dark attick and do not even need the lamp at full power and put it in economy mode (longer lamp life and less noise).Norbert

Thanks Chris I will check the HP out... Michael

MSFS2020

MICHAEL J     proud supporter

KJAX   FLORIDA

Guest kstow26

Mike, Here's a pic of the setup, awaiting the Engravity panels. As you can see the Project Magenta setup and waiting thanks to FSUIPC 4.. :Dhttp://img138.imageshack.us/img138/43/s5030697rx3.jpgMy FS Commander is also running on my client computer showing live tracking of my flight and also traffic in the area (a must to have). Using FSX with the Default 737-800 with the Friendlypanels v4.1. (has FMC). Good luck let me know how is goes with your projector

Guest kstow26

Forget to mention the most exciting part...:D Try tuning 123.45 woldwide in FSX ... you will need Windows Media Player 9 minimum, and orban for AAC+ streaming plugin found here(look left of the WMplayer icon. for DL'ing) http://www.orban.com/plugin/ Download the plugin, install it, then open up FSX or FS9 and tune your radio to 123.45. If it doesnt work you might have to download FScopilot and FSinn.(Must be a member of Vatsim freeware) dont know if it will work with out it but you can try it. If it doesnt work then go to www.mcdu.com and get the freeware items (FSInn and FSCopilot).Good luck let me know how it goes..