Sign in to follow this  

Runway usage question... How to modify?

This may sound a bit odd, but...Here's the background to the question:I'm going to use I08 as the example here, and I'm sure there are others like it. Because of the very large terrain feature with which one would become "intimately familiar" in the event that one were daft enough to attempt a departure from rwy 2, all departures from that airfield are on rwy 20.Similarly, said terrain feature causes the only aircraft which'd be able to land on 20 to be rotary wing or Harriers. Thus, all arrivals to that strip have to come in on rwy 2.Now, with an uncontrolled airport such as I08, there isn't a whole bunch of stress in regard to the ATC's instructions. I may file IFR for the fllight and once within about 20 miles of the airport cancel IFR and duck into the valleys to make the approach, landing, and littering of the mountain unmolested. On the other hand, there may be a controlled airfield or two out there with similar situations.How can one modify the airfield such that one direction on a runway can be used but not the other, irrespective of wind conditions?Apologies in advance if I've just made no sense at all.

Guest P3_Super_Bee

Make perfect sence.... Land torward the mountian, take off away from it no matter the weatherman says.This should cure your need for realism. A little program here at AVSIM. Its called AFCAD ay Lee Swordy. Pretty neat tool. You will be able to "open up" airport. Then you will be able to select RWY 02 closed for takeoffs and RWY 20 closed for landings. Then things should be "Real as it Gets".:-outtahttp://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/images/675-2fs.jpg

Awesome. I guess I'll just have to look into that one.