Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

Is It possible to fly to the North or South pole in FS2

I have never tried it, but is it possible to fly to the North or South poles in FS2002, or to fly polar routes? Is there Scenery at Antartica? Never tried it, would be interested if anyone has.

Guest Dominik Mann

Well, let me put it this way - it is not impossible in the sense of the word, but you will see some weird effects if you try. For example, I was once taking off from Alert in the far north of Canada, and when I looked around in outside view, the runway seemed to "float" all over the ground. Moreover, as I was flying even farther north, I would notice that my plane began flying more and more sideways. Something to do with the way the world is modeled in FS, IIRC. There have been at least two discussions about this topic during the past few weeks that I know of, so if you enter "North Pole" or related keywords in the search function you should be able to find them.HTH!

Guest emergency_pants

Yep.. the closer you fly to the poles, the stranger the world will move beneath you. I guess it's something to do with the convergence of latitude/longitude in the FS2002 modelled World mesh... although you can get fairly close without too much strangeness. There is freeware scenery for Antarctica by Ted Kessel & James Keir. And another by Bill Freeborn. Really good. They're in the AVSim library.Simon.

The discussions of recent weeks were very conclusive. Basically, the world is flat, and you can fall off the edge if you go far enough. I'm very grateful for Microsoft for reinforcing this, as that's certainly how it's always looked in my Atlas. Many sixteenth century mariners were also quite sure of this. All this stuff about a round Earth that you can drive right around is probably some sort of subversive plot to sell us more petrol/gas and make us replace our cars more often.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/reds.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg