Sign in to follow this  

SideWinder Joystick not working in FS2002-CFS2

I've just upgraded to a P4-2.4g processor using an Intel M/Board, and since doing this, FS2002 doesn't recognize my stick anymore.From the main menu of FS, I can click the Enable Joystick box, but while in FS, all joystick menu items are ghosted.I've read heaps on the MS site, as well as in Intel. Nothing helps.Its the old style SideWinder (through gameport, not USB), and running under WinXP Pro.I was running a P3-1000 with same software before and no probs, so I'm guessing it's the board?Anyone else had this problem, and more importantly, any solved it.I upgraded the machine for FS, now can't control it.....

Guest Eagle92395

I'd assume that the serial port is on the sound card?? I don't know of many boards that use serial ports anymore as a joystick port. Most are USB. Have you tried updating your Sidewinder Software so that it's compatible w/ XP? Also, in my bios, I have a switch that I can toggle my gameport and onboard audio on/off, you may want to check that. If all else fails...the new precision pro is like $39 at most. I saw the MS FF2 stick for $69 not too long ago. Good luck!

If you are running XP, do not and I repeat do not load the joystick software from the CD. If it's installed, uninstall it. Turn machine off and restart with the joystick plugged in. XP has its own joystick software for the MS joysticks. Both version #1 that plug into sound card and version #2 that plugs into a USB port work fine with FS2002. If, XP doesn't see the joystick on startup, open up the control panel/controllers/add/autodetect and it should load. Good luck.

Othanks for the responses.Yeah, the port is on my S/B Live card.I guess it can't ne a driver thing cos it was working on my P3 machine with XP (all other hardware was the same as now).Hence the reason why I hadn't installed the driver software.Yhe thing that confuses me is that XP recognizes the joystick in control panel, all the buttons work, and even other games work with it.So it appears to be an FS, or MS thing.I have disabled the built in sound hardware through the bios, thinking that would fix it but no go. It appears to only affect FS/CFS2. And I dont think I'll spend any more money on M$ products, especially while I'm looking at about $600.00 Aussie dollars worth of MS FS related stuff in front of me ;)I've installed FS2002 3 times now in the hope of something happening, with no luck.I'll keep trying and I'll post any progress I have here in case anyone else ever has the same problem.Thanks again for the replies.....