Sign in to follow this  

Questions about a new computer for FS

I was looking at possibly upgrading my P3 800, 320MB RAM, GF2 Ti to a more cutting edge computer. I need some opinons on the following items.I was considering buying it through Alienware. Anything good/bad about them from experience?I'm debating between the GeForce 4 Ti-4600 and Radeon 9700 Pro. Are there any compatibility issues with either card? I saw in some FPS comparisons, the Radeon nearly doubled the GF4.[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[link:www.fsworldonline.com/~timsfsstudio]Click here to visit Tim's FS Studio!] Updated August 31st!

[/td][/tr][/TABLE

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Tim,My personal recommendation is to focus your cash resources towards the best cpu you can afford. Right now, I think the best bang for your buck is a P4 2.26 GHz "B" series chip (512 L2 cache/533 FSB), partnered with some Rambus RAM. If your partial to AMD, I would go with an XP2100 rather than the XP2200 because the latter chip has been rather disappointing in the O/C department. As for the VC, I would actually recommend the Ti4200, which should more than meet your needs with a good cpu. As for pre-packaged systems, AlienWare certainly puts together fine products. However, you might consider the CyberPower Titanium Gamer Force Pro (great name, huh) which is really well equiped for a mere $1,700 MSRP. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Mine cost about $350 more than the individual components would have cost at newegg.com. Got it yesterday. Well worth it to have an optimized system with one year of support and warranty on site. CFS2 works perfect. FS2002 works perfect. I'll get to the rest of em'. Maybe IL2 tommorrow and F1 2002. Just had a problem with the Dash 7; but other than that I've been loading stuff all day and flying and playing with the settings all day. No problems whatsoever with anything. Completely stable. I just took off from LAX in the Talon. Everything maxed with clouds on; except Mesh at 90% and ATC at default with the California Land Class by Fox and the Autogenius agn files with extended terrain set =5;=8;=3 and I could see city all the way to the mountains. Nothing blank on the ground as far as the eye could see. The place is cluttered with all kinds of stuff. Where'd it all come from?? Frames locked at 20fps and running 16x12x32 at 4xAA & 16xAF with all video card settings on the highest quality. The Falcon 50 gave me some blurrs on the ground when I zoomed in tight from the outside. hehehe. That's the only time I've seen em' all day. Also, just pulled a 6g turn 45 degrees nose down with the new gmax F14D. Nice and smooth. NO popping in terrain. It's right there.