Sign in to follow this  

Fly to Hawaii....FMC....?????

Guest wkzzo

If your talking about the dc-10 it will navigate with INS ,essentially using lat. lon. waypoints.

The DC-10 was built pre-FMC and utilizes a gyro-stabilized Inertial Navigation System (INS).Essentially, instead of entering route waypoints by name you input them by LAT/LON coordinates and the autopilot can be slaved to the INS to accomplish the same thing as the FMC.HTH,Mike T.

About the original question, I don't have clue.However, an INS (or inertial navigation system) is simply a part of the FMS (or Flight Management System).The FMS is comprised of:Autopilot/Flight DirectorAir Data ComputerEFISEICASFMC (Flight Management Computer)Inertial Reference System (uses laser gyros) (a 'newer' generation INS which used mechanical gyros)Radio NavaidsAircraft System SensorsMode Control Panel (MCP)The Flight Management Computer is controlled via the CDU or Computer Display Unit, which is the little screen with a keybad on it. Basically what the INS/IRS does is input the aircraft's posistion into the FMC, which displays it on the Navigation Display (ND) which the 74-400 or 777 has.skyyCFIDon't quote me on this stuff, I'm writing from memory here :)