Sign in to follow this  
Guest emergency_pants

United Kindom visit

jerrycwo4Friday I will be departing for Europe on my 1st ever visit( A Europe highlight). I know a lot of you guys are from England. I will have only 1 1/2 days in London. In your opinion, what shoulkd I try to see. Thanks. jerry ;)

Guest PhilipManwaring

Well, I don't live there at the moment, but I'll offer a few suggestions:1. First thing - take one of the open bus tours of the city. It'll help you get your bearings and give you some ideas for other things to see. When finished - buy a travel pass on the underground. It'll take you everywhere for very little money. 2. The Tower of London is an awesome museum and historical landmark - we'll worth the price of admission and guided tour.3. See if you can get in for a tour of Buckingham Palace. It's not always open, but it's also well worth the admission. 4. Westminster and St. Paul's are both worth a stop, and Westminster has an audio tape you can rent for commentary as you explore.5. The British museum doesn't charge admission and has outstanding exhibits from prehistoric to modern periods including one of the finest Egyptian collections in the world. 6. Harrods, the famous department store, is worth a stop if you're in the area, just to see and say you've been there. 7. If you have the time and money, try to book a show for one of your evenings (not the first one if you can help it - jet lag!). London casts and sets are some of the best in the world and most of the famous shows run there year round. There are also excellent short run plays running the gamut from murder mysteries to comedies to the classics. Make sure you have lunch at a London pub or two. The food is typical London fare and usually very reasonably priced for a major city. Dinner at Rules is a little pricey but a real must - it's one of the oldest restaurants in London!Hope you have fun!Philip.

I agree with Phil on his choices - I'm going to London for business this week, then for leisure at the weekend, and I would recommend the following:1: The British Airways London Eye http://www.londoneye.com is one of the world's biggest Ferris wheels, and although pricey - is very popular and gives spectacular views across the city and, on a good day, into the neighbouring counties.2: Tate Modern: http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/ one of the country's newest museums/galleries of modern art. Spectacular collections, from 1900 to modern day. Includes works by Dali, Picasso and Warhol. Even if you don't like the art - the building (and old power station on the banks of the Thames) is pretty cool.3: The Millennium Bridge - but better known as the wobbly bridge to us Brits (this weblink will give you a clue http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/england/1829053.stm) Nice to be able to walk across the Thames, without having to share the bridge with cars, lorries and taxis. Great location - views of St Paul's, the Tower of London, Tower Bridge..4: Lunch - one of my favourite restaurant/bars is Zinc in the West End. It does a three course set lunch for

Guest Paul_W

Phil has a good list.If you go to Westminster you can see the Houses of Parliament, hear Big Ben ring out the noon hour, walk across the street to visit Westminster Abbey, then walk up Whitehall to Trafalgar Square--all in the space of two or three hours or so. You might also consider a short boat tour on the Thames from Westminster to the City and back, and I like the other suggestion about the open-top bus tour (they leave from Victoria station, and perhaps other spots too). One other possibility would be afternoon tea at one of the famous hotels, such as the Ritz or the Dorchester. I know the Ritz and others used to have a dress code requiring a jacket and tie, so you might want to check on that if and when you make a reservation.

jerrycwo4Thanks to all for the above list and everybody else for having to see this NON-flight simming article. As I said, I've never been to Eurore (in person) but flew the route that I will be going (in person) in my Falcon 50 so I know what the elavation and countryside looks like before I get there.jerry

Guest emergency_pants

In addition to all the (very very good) suggestions above, if you are in London over a weekend and want to go for a drink or two, spend a Fri or Sat night going to some pubs and bars in Soho. I think you might find it lively and a great atmosphere.After drinks, pop into the Bar Italia, in Frith Street, for a coffee. It is one of the best coffee bars in Town. It might not look overly impressive, but it's a fun place and the coffee is lovely.Just thought I might add a different edge to the sights :)Cheers,Simon.