Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

Is X-Plane any good?

Did anyone tried to play with X-Plane?How does it compare with FS 2002?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

They've been compared many times. X-Plane scenery is not as good as FS2002. The flight dynamics in X-Plane CAN be better than FS2002 planes, but they can also be worse. It depends on the plane designer.Some of the advantages of X-Plane over FS2002 (IMHO):1. the gauge refresh rate is much more realistic2. well designed planes fly very well3. you can design you own plane (real or fictitious) with Plane Maker and Airfoil Maker (included)4. a very good platform for instrument students wanting to practice approaches (due to the gauge characteristics and configurability)5. weather system seems to be better in some/many respects than FS20026. good performance on lower-end systemsNegatives against X-Plane:1. Scenery is not as good2. Bad ATC3. Stupid AI planes4. Bad for precise instrument navigation in some areas as navaids are wrong in places (negates its use as an instrument training device for x-country work)5. few addons (however, almost all are free)I could go on, but in the end it is up to you. Download the demo and see for yourself.

I agree with Ken on all points.There is only one reason why I keep X-Plane on my HDD. THe gauge refresh rate and sensitivity is the best i've seen. Eg. the Artificial horizon. In FS2002 you can be banked 1 or 2 degrees but the AH shows level. In X-Plane you can bank 1 degree adn you will see the AH react. You can fly much more precise in IFR conditions. Same with the ILS and VOR needles. YOu can see the slightest deviation and correct for it. I only use it to make CAT III approaches becasue the needles are so precise. FS and FLY (don't know about FU3) don't have that needle accuracy and refresh rate so you can be deviation and you won't know it.Other then that, it's a real fun sim, lots of planes and things like carriers moving in the oceans so you can land on them (if your plane has a hook) and take-off with the catapult shot. You can have mid-air refuallings (still trying to get that one right). You can do full shuttle reentry and approach, you can fly into space, you can fly on Mars (very weird), you can take the water-bomber and put out bush fires...or sometimes yoou see a house in the town on fire so you can take-off and try put it out. You can do all kinds of things. Water landings...you can set the wave height, speed, direction and wavelength to make it challenging. It has a lot of neat effects as well like water kicked up by tires when landing in rain...or water kicked up by the engine thrust. The scenery cannot be compared to FS...although they are trying hard, they still have some way to go. They have all kinds of data to accurately place roads, rivers, powerlines and coastlines for the whole world. They are still working on making the scenery as good as FS. The 'cool' things are things like cars driving down the roads, cars on freeways (Cool to chase in your cessna :-hah ) there are police cars and fire trucks to chase as well, at night you see all the headligts or police lights running around the streets. It has plenty of houses, streets, billboards, churches, shopping malls, parking lots to make the scenery as 3D as possibel..kind of like the AutoGen in FS escept in X-Plane they are more detailed but they look more cartoonish then FS. It's very cool to fly over on approach with a 747 adn lok out the side adn see all the cars, signs, houses (with pools) getting clsoer adn closer then you go over a fence and you touchdown. Oh yeah, the runways are some of the best as well, very nice and detailed textures for them.What else..hmm the weather is not as customizable as in FS but it's still pretty good. you can set turbulence, thunderstorms (very nicely made) and wind speeds, gusts, temp, rain/snow/ runway conditions like wet, icy, dry etc. try Winter time with snow blowing across the runway..very cool effect. Flight dynamics are apparently more realistic then FS (i don't know since i'm no real pilot) but like Ken said..that depends on the designer. Panels are not too functinoal but they are working on that as well. They are a lot more functional then they were a few months ago. The nice thing is taht X-Plane is being improved the whole time...every month there are new versions with updates that you can download for free. You buy version 6 then you get updates constantly...we are now up to 6.30 (last time i checked) lots of new features were added up to 6.30 like a whole new scenery engine and all that data for highways and coastlines etc. So with X-Plane I say that it's definitely worth the money because of all the updates you get constantly and improvements.Overall it's a fun sim.I use it only to do CAT III approaches or to have some fun buzzing houses and cars with the F-22 or something.Whew....i wrote a whole book here..hope it helps. Go and get the demo if you wnat to see for yourself and decide. www.x-plane.comTake careMikeEDIT: I forgot to add that there is add-on scenery for XP (free) that is absolutely stunning. Take a look at this new project taking shape for X-Planehttp://www.x-plane.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard/i...t=ST;f=4;t=1999You can find a lot of info at www.x-plane.org

>Flight dynamics are apparently more realistic then FS (i >don't know since i'm no real pilot) but like Ken said..that >depends on the designer. Like Ken said...... better and worse. I've prefered a number of FS planes with 3rd party files over some that I've run in X-Plane (the demo). The overall view of superior X-Plane flight dynamics is just a "myth" since either method ( wing calculations/tables) require tweaking for both feel and hitting the numbers.At this point, my preference for flight dynamics in smaller aircraft has been IL-2 Sturmovik, but the (FS2002) SF260 from RealAir Simulations has exceeded even that sim in certain areas of the flight envelope; most noteably spins and slips. The Dreamfleet ArcherII for FS2002 also has very recognizable flight dynamics for a GA aircraft.L.Adamson