Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

Is there a proper way to install Add On sceneries??

Guest Lindy

But it didn't work. MS FS won't start w/o a scenery.cfg file. I kept getting a window telling me the file was missing or damaged and I needed to reinstall MSFS2002. Guess it's time I bite the bullet, save the folders that I need to save and reinstall. *sigh* -Lindy :-wave

Hi Lindy,there may be another way. First, delete the INDEX_FILE in the FS2002 root folder (make a backup, if you wish), and try to start FS. If you still get the same problem, try to disable the sceneries you last installed - in the scenery.cfg just change the line Active=TRUE to Active=FALSE. Also, make sure all entries are correctly numbered, like this:{Area.323}Title=RJSNLocal=sceneryRJSNSceneryRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=323If there is no entry for the layer, for example, it will cause FS to crash to the desktop. A similar thing should happen with double entries (i.e. two sceneries having the same Area or Layer number).Also, you could try to extract the original scenery.cfg from the CD (not sure where it is, just use the Windows search function), and then try Luis' method again.Cheers,Gosta.

I just did some checking - double entries didn't cause a crash, but when I changed the layer number to something non-numerical (i.e. 'xxx'), I got exactly what you described - reboot. Did one of the scenries you installed require you to add the .cfg entry manually, and did you forget to put in the correct layer number?Cheers,Gosta.

Guest Lindy

No manual cfg enteries. But the question is moot now........ I've already uninstalled the program. I'm running a defrag now and in the morning will reinstall and start adding stuff back in.Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice. I'll try to do better this 2nd time around. -Lindy :-wave

FWIW ------ Many of my sceneries were designed for FS2K, such as some by Orlando Sotomayor. While the installation instructions may have been somewhat complicated, all you have to do for FS2002 is copy the bgl. files and put them in the FS2002 add-on scenery/scenery file. Example: