Sign in to follow this  

Det 40.72 or Omega ???

Hi all,I know video drivers have been thrashed to death, but has anyone used the Omega drivers ? I`ve heard that performance is slower for gaming, but quality is better.I`m about to reformat my hard-drive, so not sure wether to try these drivers. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.Thanks,RobAthlon 2100+XP Pro + SP11 gig ram.GF4 4600 + Det40.72

Guest flightpro08

I've had some trouble with Omega drivers and my Ti4600. While I used to use Omega drivers all the time on my old ATI RADEON 7200 (because ATI's driver's where terrible ;-) ), but they seem to be a bit buggy with the GeForce chipsetRyan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com|Taxiwaysigns.com] Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Ryan+Fretwell&CatID=Root]Here to Download my New American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

Guest JonP01

The term "Omega Drivers" is a misnomer. They are not drivers as such, but are a collection of standard and non-standard driver tweaks and registry settings that reflect the author's particular tastes. They certainly download and install as a full driver set but by the author's admission nothing is actually changed in the driver source code or object libraries.To be blunt, the image quality of these "drivers" is exceptionally poor in FS2002. The various tweaks by the author have resulted in severe aliasing artifacts that to my eyes are simply intolerable. The author does admit that texture aliasing is a side effect of the tweaks but I would suggest that the aliasing is much more than a side effect and instead is a dominating feature.By all means try them - they don't seem to actually do any harm, but the image quality is imo absolutely horrible and no amount of anti-aliasing helps the problem. I've found the stock standard 30.82 drivers are the all-round best at the moment.Mind you, the Oemga drivers could well be great for other applications, but I presume your question related specifically to FS2002.As regards the 40.72 drivers, whilst I personally have not experienced side effects in using them in FS2002, I have experienced extraordinarily bizarre problems with them in Rally Trophy. So all I can suggest is try them out in all your 3D multimedia applications before you make a decision to use them or not. As far as performance is concerned, my experience is they perform noticably slower than the 30.82 drivers, even though they score better in the 3D Mark 2001 benchmark.

"Thanks" both of you for your excellent advice.However, I tried them myself (curiosity !!!) & found the Omega drivers were as you described, even though the driver designer has done a terrific job, they do not work well with FS2k2, & the 40.72 drivers give a little more 3d Mark score, but lose a bit of quality.So I`ve re-formatted & installed the certified "Det.30.82" with the "Riva Tuner 2".FS2k2 now runs smoothly with really good quality. "Thanks" again. Rob