Sign in to follow this  

Cessna 421's Garman 530 and remote 2nd computer

Does anyone know if I can have the GPS 530 that is in Flight 1's Cessna 421 running on a remote computer using WideFS? I would like to be able to undock the 530 GPS and have it run on my 2nd machine along with some other add ons. If it is possible, I'm not exactly clear on how to undock it and drag it to the 2nd machine which is a laptop that I have networked and using WideFS. Any help on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated appreciated.Thanks,Jim

Guest jason2112

Hi Jim!I have never used WideFS, but as far as I understood you start FS on both machines, and synchronize them via WideFS. So you need FA and the Cessna 421 on both machines installed. You configure your desktop as the server and the laptop as the client and load a flight. Then you hit Shift+F3 on the notebook in order to display the GPS.I hope I've got that right. I thougt about setting up WideFS using my old Pentium 100 as a client. But I decided against that and added a second graphics card to my current computer instead.I hope that I could help a little. Having the Garmin 530 on a second screen is really great! The 421C's Garmin is a wonderful device, the ability to enter direct GPS targets via keyboard alone is worth the money!Bye,VOlker :]

Hi Jason,Thanks for the response. I believe what you are referring to is WideView. I also have that configured but I prefer to use WideFS sinse WideView does not allow for add on's to run on the second machine ie FSmeteo, Airinfo etc. I was hoping to be able to simply use the Garmin 530 as an add on in the 2nd machine. I think the idea would be able to undock it and put it on the 2nd machine but that's where I'm a little unclear. Any other suggestions would sure be appreciated.Thanks,Jim

Guest jason2112

Sorry, messed everything up ;)But I just stumbled over some other information in the FSAvionics forum (http://www.simsystems.com.au/dcforum/DCForumID5/18.html). Regarding the question whether the new Garmin 530 standalone addon is a gauge or a module, John Hnidec replied: "They are "modules" like FSFlightMax. We believe this is a better approach than a gauge for things like [...] will work remotely via WideFS etc."So I assume that the 421C Garmin, which is a gauge, will not work via WideFS. But I'd be glad if somebody else with experience in this field would prove me wrong!Bye,VOlker :]

Hi Volker,I believe you have a good point. I have been looking at FlightMax which is the same developers who have recently come out with the Garmin 430 and 530's. I've been thinking of getting FlightMax to run on the second machine and thought since I already have a Garmin 530 in the Cessna 421 that it would be great to be able to use it. As John mentioned on the forum, since it is a gauge, I'm beginning to doubt that I can use on the remote via WideFS. Like yourself, "I'd be glad if somebody else with experience in this field would prove me wrong!" .Thanks for the help.Have Fun,Jim :-waveFDC Team Member