Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

What is a ntdll.dll error ...?

Guest Terblanche

Only ... but only in FS2002 ... it freezes up - and when you exit it says there is a ntdll.dll error. What causes this and how do you fix it? Please help.ThanxT

Guest jase439

A crash in NTDLL is cause for concern. NTDLL is a layer that sits between your running applications and the lower levels of your operating system. A crash inside of NTDLL is rare and *can* be due to a bug in the operating system itself - but considering millions of people are running FS2K2 on a million flavors and configurations of Windows 2000/XP w/o error sugggests this is probably not the case.More common is that an add-on or module you are loading is corrupting the memory FS2K2 (more importantly, the memory that NTDLL - which is loaded when you start FS2002 - is using). This can be caused by rogue drivers and bad memory sticks as well, but usually, in this case, you would have widespread problems with many applications and likely be experiencing a number of blue screens of death. Another outside case you might look at is a bad sector on your hard drive. FS might be trying to read from the disk and hitting one or more bogus sectors on the drive causing an unexpected exception (application error) to be raised.Your best recourse is to remove any add-ons you may have installed recently. If you have Windows XP, you might want to do a System Restore to rollback to a date when you did not experience this problem. If this doesn't help, I would remove FS2002 entirely. Scan your disk (i.e. chkdsk /f) and memory for errors (use a utility like MemDoc or one of the many other freeware utilities that are out there). Update your drivers to the latest versions. THEN reinstall FS2002. Verify that it works normally. Install your add-ons one at a time, testing each one thoroughly before moving on to the next.Kinda ugly, but your best chances are to be thorough and very systematic in narrowing down the culprit.Good luck,JPS. I would also recommend that you reinstall the latest service pack for your operating system (SP3 for Windows 2000, SP1 for Windows XP) to ensure that all your core operating system files are up to date. I would do this AFTER you verify the integrity of your hard drive and your memory as it would do you a lick of good if you install a service pack onto a dying hard drive ;-)

Guest Terblanche

Thanx for the answer ... it all seems BAD news to me!Where do I get MemDoc?I will try your advice step-by-step because I also thought it is some add-on who did the damage but which one I don't know because there are so many?ThanxT

Guest kurtj

Mine seemed to give the fs has encountered a problem after panning around my aircraft. It didn't lockup though. I just sent the error message to microsoft. By the way what is the purpose of the send error or not send error. Does MS read what has happened and try to fix the problem? I believe it was nt.dll or something like that.

Guest jase439

It takes a snap shot of the error and the state of everything in your computer at the time of a crash - including running applications, things in memory, etc. The idea is that if they get enough crashes of a certain kind, they can look at the operating environments of all the users that experienced the crash in an effort to diagnose the problem.Considering MS is not patching FS2002, I never send this information to them. They garnish ALOT of data - more than I am confortable sending to any joe schmoe in Redmond. I generally refrain from sending data of this kind to anyone unless I personally know who will be receiving it on the other end ;-)