Sign in to follow this  

512mb ram help...

Hi guys,Once again i need someones help... Out of my stupidity, I bought a 512mb memory stick for my computer... just did i remember that there are certain limits on how much memory you can add on to older model. I have a P3 733mhz 128mb memory, are there any technicians or people with similar specs that can give me an idea if i'm right about this limit thing. I can't find any help on the web. what i did was, turned off my computer, put it in and turned it back on... it only recognized the 128mb stick(previous, tried removing the 128 and putting in the 512 alone, but after i turned it on there was a blank screen.) do i need to do something in the bios, if my computer can handle?Thanks,Alp.s. concerning the GeForce4 i got a friend that said would give me his Geforce 4 Ti4200 for only 55dollars!!! thats why i went to best buy and got the 512 stick while completly forgetting the possible limit.

You need to do some research on your motherboard. On my motherboard on my old putter, I had three ram slots which took 128 mb sticks only for a total of 384 mb. No more. A 256 mb stick would not have worked. I added a second 128 mb stick two years ago and the third 128 mb stick this year maxing it out with 384 mb. Your's may be the same. Don't know?? Just make sure you use the same brand of ram that you currently have and all should be well. All you need do once you have the right size and brand is insert them and turn the machine back on. It'll automatically recognize it. To confirm it, just right click on my computer and select performance and it'll tell you what's there.

Thank you sir...I kept searching on the internet to find the specs of a compaq presario 5000 similar to mine and found one with a 700mhz( i have 733mhz) with everything else the same that said a max of 512mb. I'm gonna do somemore research if i can't get it to work, i'll just go back and get another 128mb thats the same company. If anyone else can shed some more light, i'd appreciate it.Thanks,Al