Sign in to follow this  

IFR Cancellation

My last 2 IFR filed flightplans were from Franfurt to Zurich and Paris to Schiphol, and in both cases approximately 15 minutes into each flight, at altitude, ATC for no apparent reason cancelled both IFR flights and I was instructed to continue VFR. Is this just a coincidence or a frequent occurance, and what are the reasons ATC cancels IFR? Thanks in advanceMike

Guest abent

I've only had ATC cancel IFR flight plans for both AI and my plane when using add-on weather programs. Usually because a/c are not at the right altitude due to pressure changes. But, there are always warnings to attain altitude before the cancellation. I have been told to descend to an altitude without ATC giving me a new pressure setting - very frustrating trying to guess the altitude.Do you use any add-on Metar programs?Adam

I agree it can be very frustrating when the pressure changes and you are not given a new setting. I found that if you hit "Shift+Z" you can get the actual altitude readout from the top of the screen and if it disagrees with your altimeter by more than 100ft then you need to interpolate which way to adjust your altimeter to get it set to the current barometric pressure. If "Shift+Z" shows that you are 200ft lower than your altimeter is reading then climb 200ft and then adjust the altimeter to read correctly. This may help you from getting a flight plan cancelled if it is being caused by pressure changes.http://www.ktone.org/images/FSD_ken.jpg

Thanks Adam & Ken for the quick response. Adam, on the Zurich flight I had downloaded world weather thru FS (Jeppeson), but on the Schiphol flight I did not. From the information you both supplied, I believe the cancellation resulted from pilot error.....I need to keep a closer watch on the barometric pressure! Thanks againMike