Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Submit Your Fs2004 Wish Now, Don't wait too much

>sorry to be so upfront >>but this was posted a month or so ago and had a good reply >>why go over it again >>:-( It's good to be upfront, so I'm going to do the same.I don't think this post was saying "Submit your FS2004 Wish List" here in this forum, but submit it to the email the FS Team have provided as quoted above. It may be your last chance to have an input.Fermin - fsadventures.net][/b

Guest Paul_W

Chris, I really find this one-way communication with MS to be a bit of a bottomless pit. When I check the LOMAC forums I see enthusiasts directly interacting with the publishers from Ubisoft, and I'd have to say that the level of communication is pretty decent--meaning that the users seem basically respectful of the publishers, and that the exchange is constructive.Then every once in a while I follow the link to some new announcement going on in Oleg Maddox's "Ready Room" (relating to the Forgotten Battles add-on for IL-2), and the users there are frequently jumping up and down with enthusiasm over the next announced feature, and often getting their questions answered directly by the programmers.Then we have the "Tell MS" e-mail address. Sure, it's a good thing to have in principle, but as a matter of degree I'm wondering what the point is right now. We've had a number of extensive threads listing what users want to see next, both here and at Flightsim. Now you seem to be saying that these requests should be repeated over and again, this time via e-mail. Quite frankly it has the aura of supplications rising up from some old church sanctuary, and I find the "other worldly" distancing and lack of direct response from MS to be demeaning at times.MS has heard from the FS community because they read what's here. For some strange reason they've decided to invest in focus groups above and beyond this large amount of feedback. I can't imagine other publishers doing that; I'm sure they wouldn't have the money to do it even if they wanted to.Personally I'm just finishing up seven months of day-to-day tracking of the latest news and developments going on with CFS3. I wrote a nice and constructive e-mail to the "Tell CFS" address, and on numerous occasions made comments at a CFS3 forum on various aspects of some of the visuals that were released in an effort to improve various things. Perhaps my feedback helped in some areas. But now after all that concern and tracking and talking about this, that and the other aspect CFS3 has been introduced and I'm one of those who is very disappointed (in fact I uninstalled it last night and returned it to the retailer).To sum it up, I think at this point it's possible to follow these things too closely; I would think it's better to just relax and see what they can come up with. If they retain the qualities that made FS 2002 so good for the majority, and add to them, then they'll succeed. In my opinion that's not what happened in moving from CFS2 to CFS3. I have every optimism for FS 2004 though; I just won't be asking the publisher for the umpteenth time if I can have another cookie.

Microsoft take only wish thats are highly demanded from user and ignore all others. As they should. Start at the top of the stack of most wanted features and move down from there.Makes perfect sense...Submit product suggestions directly to the Flight Simulator team via the Tell_FS@microsoft.com email. (Keeping bombarding this email with the same wish)And what would flooding their mailbox with constant requests/threats/demands do except having them shut it down because it is becoming impossible to sort out the few real suggestions from the constant repeating whiners?Send your request once. Maybe send each request in a different email to make it easier to catalogue for them.But whatever you do DON'T send them 100 emails asking for the same thing. That is counterproductive at best.Things thats are sure in their plans for fs2004 are:And how do you know those things are sure?It would be logical given releases from the past, but I've not seen ANY pressrelease or otherwise on the Microsoft website detailing things to come in FS2004.

I dont know, but the only way i think we can really have an influence is get together a list of, lets say 10 things the majority of the community wants, and have a representative, im thinking about avsim staff here, bring this list to microsoft in a way, preferably by meeting them at a conference or something.I dont think that many of the emails ever reach a programmer!So maybe avsim staff should try to get in contact, call them or something, telling them we are (how many are we?) many thousand enthusiasts who buy their "game" over and over, every other year. So we put a list of 10, maybe 15 things together (not more) and have a spokesman give that list to MS for us. Everybody puts their names under it, so MS can see how strong this community actually is!anyways, just my two cents!CYA

I will now lock this thread, as I can see it is going to go the direction that most of these type do... but before I do, let me respond to a couple of points.There is no need for AVSIM to act as the "representative" in conveying suggestions, wish lists and the like. The MS guys read these forums daily and know exactly what the users complain about, want in future releases, etc.On the subject of compatibility with previous releases; this has been stated by MS many times and reported here. MS' design philosophy is to make the upcoming release of an FS product to be backward compatible with the two previous releases. If a third party designs THEIR ADD-ON to the SDK of say the last release (in this case FS2002), then the add-on will work in FS2004. If the third party developer does something in their design that does not follow the SDK, then all bets are off. Almost all developers of add-ons are aware of this philosophy and for the most part, follow it.