Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tim W

Dash7 - strange sound problem

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this?During cruise, if I freeze the SIM with P or ESC, when I resume, quite often (but not always) the sound is distinctly different. I think I have been able to detect 4 different sounds. This is all from cockpit view.That's not all. When I do a start up, either manually or CTRL+E, sometimes I get the initial starter whine and sometimes not. Moreover, sometimes the starter whine will occur for one, or two, or three of the engines and just before posting this, I did a CTRL+E startup and got whine on engine 1 and 4 only.My system is an Athlon 1.33 Ghz, 256Mb RAM, SB Live Value, ASUS GeForce3 Ti200 (64Mb), Win98SE, DirectX 8.1. I've never had any trouble with the sound in FS, not even the "static" I've seen some people complain about.Just as a test, I installed both the Dash7v1 and Dash7c1 on my laptop. It is a 750mhz Celeron w/128Mb RAM and who knows what sound system. The varying sound I describe above occurs on it too.BTW, in an earlier thread about the overhead panel, someone said they were experiencing an FS2002 crash when they select the overhead panel. I have had no such occurances, not even on this laptop with it's 8Mb video.For me, this sound thing is a minor issue but it would be interesting to unravel. Anyone have any ideas ?Calhover long and prosper

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Cal,this is a pretty heavy sound file. I have seen what you are talking about in other heavy sound files as well. From what little I know about this stuff yet, I think it may be some kind of a caching issue.I have found that hitting "Q" to mute the sounds then "Q" again to turn them back on usually corrects sound oddities. But I cant tell you why this happens or why the "Q" thing works!!Scott

Cal, Try this...Open the MS Sound Recorder, and then open the Dash7c1/Sound folder.Now open the sound file "Kan14.wav" in Sound Recorder.Go to File/Properties, click Convert Now.Save.Now test it. If no change, do the same procedure with Kan12.wav and test.You may wish to do a backup of the files first.Let us know.Milton

Thanks to you both. I appreciate your suggestions.Unfortunately, the situation remains unchanged. I converted the stereo engine sounds to mono but to no avail. Afterward, I restored those files with fresh copies from the downloaded archive and retested. Same.I think Scott may be on right track -- hardware. It seems to me I've read on NG's and/or forums of problems with this SB Live Value. I also should check for updated drivers. I will also start checked some other aircraft I have to see if the problems shows up there too.Anyway guys.... don't worry about it. Just keep it in mind and if you happen to run across anything, you can contact me thru the HoverSafe Academy website, http://members.shaw.ca/hoversafe/Hoversafe.htm. And, if I nail anything down, I'll contact you.Thanks again,Calhover long and prosper

Suspicions confirmed. The anomolies outlined in my first post also occur with the sound system included in Mathias Lieberecht's BAE146 panel package. There may be others but I only have a few aircraft of this type.I updated my SB Live Value drivers -- no change.Just thought I'd pass this along.Calhover long and prosper

Hi Cal,I appreciate the update. I always get paranoid on a release. LOLMilton

Just to let you know I experience the same with the starter whine appearing sometimes and sometimes not. My sound comes from a SB Audigy Platinum.RegardsTim