Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightpro08

ATC Final Approach Fix in FS2002

HiDoes anyone know of a way to adjust the point in FS2002 where ATC asks you to intercept the localiser?The point where you intercept it, is about 5 miles for the runway. This is far too close for a heavy jet like a 747 to intercept, and stabilise on the ILS. I would like reset this to somewhere between 11 and 13 miles out. Of course this would also involve getting ATC to start the decent earlier too !Any ideas out there? Is there a config file?CheersGraham

Guest guyjr

It seems to me that the ATC in FS2K2 isn't all that smart. I've compensated for this by descending quite rapidly as soon as they give the instruction. I usually end up about 10 nm out or so on the FAF when they tell me to contact tower. I've found that if I have too shallow a descent into the destination when I first get an instruction to descent, I'll end up much closer to the airport. ATC should in this case either tell me to expedite the descent, or put me in a holding pattern til I get to a lower altitude.What's a typical descent rate in a big jet like a 747 or 767? The only real world data I've got is on a recent trip to Hawaii, on a 767-400. I watched the realtime data they broadcast on the monitors in the cabin, and noticed at times as we got close to our destination that the plane would descend 1000 feet every couple of minutes. ie, we'd be at 35,000 feet, then the next time the monitor showed the altitude, we'd be at 34,000 feet, so it was less than a minute to change altitude. The plane step descended like this for a few minutes before it began it's "real" descent. I guestimate that we must have been doing at least 1500 fpm - 2000 fpm on the real descent phase. Anybody have more accurate details?

767 or 747 will descent at a rate in the region of 2000-4000 FPM I thinkfor the FAF problem,I have this little workaround: when ATC instructs to turn to your final heading to intercept the localizer, just wait a little time before you turn to that heading (thus staying on the previous assigned heading for a while). your intercepting leg will be shorter,so you'll have less time to arm the appraoch etc. but you'll end up around the 10 NM fix

I have found that as long as you are within 10 degrees of the heading ATC assigns you, ATC will not complain. So, as I am following the ATC instructions to my destination, I simply compensate 10 degrees or so left or right of what they tell me. Ultimately, I can then intercept the localizer from a more realistic distance.

MMmmm thanks guys,you have given me something to think about.I think I will try the rapid descent option, with my speedbrakes deployed. I usually descend at 1800-2000 fpm. I might try 2500-3000 fpm. With my usual settings it is difficult to keep below 250 kts, so with the higher rate i would definately need my speedbrakes. I might also try intercepting at a higher angle therefore catch to localiser earlier.I must admit i would love it, if there was just a tweak of a config file, that would have the ATC start my descent earlier. and my final approach further out !PS As I will be using the rapid descent option, I have ordered up extra stocks of sick bags for my passengers. No one can accuse me of not caring for my passengers! :-)CheersGraham UK

Guest guyjr

Heh, I wouldn't worry too much about airsickness from a rapid descent. It's not the rate of descent, but rather the rate of change in the rate of descent that causes G loads to be displaced. So, for instance, if you were to slowly increase your descent rate to 4000 fpm over the span of 10 or 15 seconds, nobody would ever notice (until their ears started popping). Do that over 1 - 2 seconds, and people will find a new respect for those seat belt signs real quick!:-) :-grnmd

Very true!But I never said I was good or SMOOTH pilot....... lolCheers :-)Graham UK

Guest boback

While on flight on a real BA A320, I noticed the way the captain slowed his decent speed by opening up the spoilers at about halfway. Mind you, I don't remembe the altitude we were at when he did that. I suppose its not a good idea to do it at 10,000 feet ;)

boback,you can use spoilers whenever you want and at any speed except when you have much (full) flaps selected (then you'll fall out the sky like a rock)and also preferably not on the appraoch (I belive common SOP is not below 1000' AGL)

Guest flightpro08