Sign in to follow this  

rolling turns

I am having alot of problems perfecting the rolling turns I need HELP bad

Rolling Turns ......... or ....... Rolling Circles1. decide how many rolls you want to complete in the 360 degrees of the turn. For this example let's assume 4. So, that is one full roll for each quarter of the circle. Now we know this part it is a little easier as we can start to have a mental image of the turn and can then pick good ground object to serve as referance points.2. consider the flight dynamics of what we are trying to achieve. The rolls have to be 'slow' rolls and the rate of roll should be kept constant. But, not only are we rolling we are also trying to turn as well. We need to complete one full 360 degree roll with 90 degrees of heading change.3. Pick landmarks off the wingtips that assist with knowing where the 90 degree point is.4 the roll itself. OK we do a straight roll with aileron, easy, but to turn as well ? ..think about it... then think of the other controls we have and how they will effect the aircraft in each part of the slow roll. Split the slow roll into 4 parts atarting with wings level.Part1... use aileron to start the roll in the desired direction when we reach 90 degrees of bank we need a way of keeping the nose up so as not to lose height. The elevator is no good for this anymore as it is now working as a turning control.. the answer is the rudder.Use top rudder ( in a left roll this is the right rudder input ) to yak the nose and keep it from dropping.To keep the turn going we use a gentle stick back pressure.part2.... inverted. now we need to keep the nose from dropping so easy.. we use forward stick (elevator ) to keep the turn going we are going to have to use rudder to yaw the aircraft round this part of the turn.part3.... top rudder to keep nose from dropping, to keep turn going this time it's a forward stick movement.part4 .... the last 1/4 of the roll ease off the top rudder, start to bring the stick back as for a normal turn.all of this needs to be done in a way that keep the aircrafts roll rate constant and turns the airctaft through 90 degrees of heading change.now do it all again three more times and if done well you will have completed 4 rolls and turned the aircraft round one complete 360 degree turn.not easy .... try it with 2 rolls in the one full 360 degree turn.i.e one roll in each 180 degrees.have funJohn

Thanks I was talking about both rolling turns and rolling circles I am flying a sukhoi SU31 and a zlin Z50LS the best plane that I have found is the SU31 or SU29 that is what I have tried it in and still I can not keep the nose of the aircraft from pitching up during the moneuver what am I doing wrong?