Sign in to follow this  

Madeira Revisited

I haven't visited Madeira since the days of FS2000, so I thought it was high time I flew there again with FS2002. Madeira has always been, IMHO, one of the most challenging approaches, right up their was the infamous IGS approach at Kai Tak,After a brief search I found some suitable scenery for Madeira - lpmd10.zip by Claus-Peter Sassen and some Gaia mesh for Madeira cb_ma.zip - both available at FS.comIt turned out to be one of the most enjoyable flights I have made in a long time. I flew the DF 737 from Gatwick to Madeira, taking off very near to MTOW for the 1,338 NM trip.The flight plan I used was: EGKK SAM2M.SAM UN866 KORUL R1 KORAV STG UN741 LIDRO PST FUN LPMAI took off from Gatwick at 1400, arriving just in time for a dusk approach into Madeira. I've only ever flown the approach to runway 5 during the daytime, and a dusk approach is *very* different. It's a real challenge just getting the turn to final approach right, but even more so whe you're straining to see the looming black shadows of the cliffs in front of you :-)If you want an interesting and challenging destination, you could do a lot worse than Madeira. There's also a great How To article by Andrew Herd at FS.com with the correct procedure for flying the runway 5 approach, as well as approach plates for LPMA.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!