Sign in to follow this  

DX9 wooo hoooo!!! (Pic)

Is all I can say. If you have a Radeon 9700 card, get DX-9 and the new ATI Catalyst drivers. FS2002 luvs DX-9 and so do I! :-lolNow, in the most dense FS2002 and GMAX sceneries with AI and all, the meter is pegged at around 40fps. Disclaimer: This is on a P4 3.2Ghz so your milage may vary.

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Hi Mike,Are you sure this is on a P4 3.2Ghz??? I had the impression that Intel's fastest P4 is 2.8Ghz... Did I miss something?!How's the new ATI performs in general? Any lockups, hickups, misshaps, crashes, etc? Rumors say that FS2002 (and MS products in general) are in favor of nVidia chips, and many users reported weird problems with previous ATI chips.Any extra information would be appreciated. I'm planning for a new VGA for my Xmas present... It's time for that good old TNT2Ultra to be retired. :-)Thanks,George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

humm... still got the blurries in the not too distant background ;-) Also, shouldn't you have been getting those frame rates with 8.1 with that mega-system?

Fastest 3.06 GHz now :-)Kitty MercuryCathay Pacific Virtual Pilot (CX252)

George:2.8Ghz Overclocked to 3.2Ghz with 512MB of overclocked 32Bit RIMM4200 RDRAM.No lockups, hiccups, crashes (well, only if I forget to lower the landing gear).This FS2002 loves NVidia is a bunch of crap (IMHO). I had problems with the card and it was all MY fault for not uninstalling the old drivers before installing the new ones. The Radeon card is very particular in the order one upgrades or changes its drivers while the Geforce4 is very forgiving.I've been running the 9700 for about a month now in my new system (after replacing my trusty GeForce4 Ti 4600) and I have not had a problem. The ATI Control Panel has a great many optimization options and I see where one could get into trouble futzing around in there.I recommend the card however for now. I don't know what GeForce will do by the time you are ready to make your change...who knows, they may come out with a faster card, but for now the Radeon blows the door off of any NVidia offerings.Regards,Mike T.

Yep a nice case of the blurries. I just installed DX9 and haven't changed the Ansiotropic settings. It is set at balance performance / quality. If I slide it all the way to quality then the blurries move way out towards the horizon.At 1600x1200 I have not seen a difference in performance by changing the quality or the anti-aliasing setting....Actually, I've always had the meter locked at 30fps and it stayed pegged there. At 40fps locked I saw it fluctuate to 35fps in very dense scenery like New York. Now, it stays pegged at 40fps (except in Wilco Airport scenery with lots of AI it goes way down to 25 fps :-(Best,Mike T.

@George,You're almost correct about the P4... Untill earlier this week, the fasted available P4 was 2.8GHz, but Intel have officially released the 3.06GHz version.Mike bought a killer new system, see this post for info:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID8The CPU is in fact a 2.8GHz, but it's overclocked to 3.2GHz with the aid of loads of case fans (5!!!), and a water cooling system - pretty much essential if you're going for serious speed boosts :-).@Mike,Glad to see the system is working great for you there. I'm hoping to upgrade my system next year for some serious hardware too, hopefully a 3GHz+ CPU :-). Hopefully we'll know by then how an AthlonXP combined with a nforce mobo will compare with a P4 on a Granite Bay mobo :-).Regards,Dave.

I have been tring to download it all night and still can't get it.I have got the little webinstaller but it will not download . I have no clue why. *shrug*Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team-----------------------PAI beta team -----------------------"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

WOW!That's some overclocking !!!!Thanks for the info Mike...The Radeon9700 is one of my candidates and actually has much better value for money than a GF4Ti card... Usually ATI cards come complete with TVOut, VideoIn and all those goodies that only the most expensive nVidia cards offer.George DorkofikisAthens, GreecePS Forgive my ignorance on new systems build etc, but it's getting really hard to keep up to date in this forum! It's so active that a message will not stay in the front 3-4 pages for more than 1Hr I would say... :-) Not that this is bad... :-)

Lets not all jump on the DX9 bandwagon at once. Remember this is RC-0, and is not completely stable yet. I can see this forum filling up with cries for help because DX-9 is causing problems or people are not getting the performance that Mike has shown us. Also remember that you cannot uninstall and DirectX product once its installed. So use at your own risk.

>Also remember that you cannot uninstall and DirectX product >once its installed.Oh yeah, there's but it ain't pretty and not very safe! :)>So use at your own risk. I would take that advice seriously. ;)Best,

HOLY COW!!!: :-eek With THREE point TWO GHz, that I'd call some system specs... WHOW!!! Not bad, havin a whoppin' fourty-one fps...So Mike, just have fuuun!!! :-hahEtienne :-wave

Mike_T; slow that thing down to max frames of 20 and the blurries will go away. You'll see low res terrain out on the horizon; but you won't see any blurries. I tried 40frames and then 30frames and settled on 20max. I lose terrain if I crank up that max frame rate. Course, you're probably running ATC at 100 percent. I run mine between 20 and 40 percent. And I also see little difference in framerate regardless of where I run the AA & AF. All my settings are on high quality. I do run AA @ 4x though, cause I can't tell any difference between 4x and 6x AA.

Guest outtatimeiii

Wow! LOL 3.2GHz! Thats getting up there. Although I seen overclockers reach near 4GHz on their P4 2.8 something without zapping the CPU :). I'm quite happy with my Athlon 1.2 with Radeon 7200, not willing to overclock anytime soon LOL. 40fps with a complex plane in a high density city with clouds is very very good, im lucky to get even 20fps or lower out of that. My old K6 system would be pegged at *4fps* wowwwwww! LOLHave fun!