Sign in to follow this  
Guest simpilot

Vcore Settings

Guest simpilot

Would someone be kind enough to explain Vcore settings to me.I have an Asus A7V mobo and a Tbird 950 AMD. I read somewhere that the default Vcore setting was 1.75 for my CPU and that I could overclock it safely by changing the Vcore and the FSB multipliers provided that I had adequate cooling. Needless to say, FS2K2 seems to be requiring me to get as much performance out of my current set-up and I am trying to be frugal at the moment except by adding a new video card. At any rate, I am not quite sure about setting the FSB since it seems that it is locked in my BIOS however, I was able to increase the Vcore to 1.8o and experienced a pretty good performance increase in dense scenery areas to actually make it pretty flyable in some FPS killer sceneries such as Airport2000 v3 and Simflyers. My question is how do I know what my processor is running at when I increase the voltage. I have tried to search on the net but, I cannot seem to find a "laymans" explanation.Cheers!Richard

An increase in voltage alone doesn't make your CPU run faster ( it will run a lot hotter however ). The reason that voltage increases are done while overclocking is to make sure that the CPU is running stable.The A7V has an FSB of 100MHz (if I remember correctly) so that would mean that the CPU multiplier would be 9.5.9.5 x 100MHz = 950MHz, which is the normal speed of your CPU.Check your motherboard manual for jumper settings and/or dipswitch settings that will enable you to increase the FSB or the CPU multiplier. The safest bet is to try the CPU multiplier first. Increasing the FSB will also increase the speed of the PCI bus and some cards will not function at the new speed.Dennis

Hi Richard,As Dennis stated, simply raising your Vcore voltage from the 'nominal' 1.75v to 1.80v will likely do nothing but raise the temperature of the die and POSSIBLY lower the life expectancy of your processor. But in theory, or old wives tales, that's what overclocking does as well.Vcore (or Vcc) is the voltage that processor itself runs at. Great PDF documentation is available at the .You will need to "unlock" your processor before trying to overclock it. Many websites (even [link:www.tomshardware.com]Toms Hardware have How-To's on ways of unlocking a particular family of processor, but you will need to do this first. Manufacturers lock a processor to make the installation easier, almost fool-proof, and to keep guys like you from getting more than what they paid for! ;-)Heck, I've had a Celeron 366a running at 550mhz for over two years now, and it's still running strong. Just remember, to OC you need: - good motherboard - good memory - good power supply - and good luck! (more of the first three though):-lolFunny thing is that the increase in overclocking isn't what it used to be. My Celeron example was over 40%! Not bad for a free upgrade. But with todays increases, youre lucky to see 10%.Very, very good luck

Guest simpilot

Thank you both (Tom and Dennis) for your explanations.I was able to OC my CPU to 1.6 ghz however it did not run very stable when it got warm so, I have since cloked it back and will probably be looking at a new system here pretty soon.Cheers!Richard

Guest simpilot

Well I have been able to OC my 950 to 1066 and everything seems to run pretty stable in terms of temperatures (41-43c/idle and 43-45c/load running FS2K2). I overclocked using the CPU multiplier on my A7V. I had tried 1000 and 1100 but it would not post. At any rate here is my problem. Running at 1066 and runnning FS2K2, my screen goes absolutely blank! I can hear the sound then even that freezes. I have to end up doing a cold reboot. Any ideas?My system specs are:Asus A7V rev. 1.02512 PC133SB PCI128IBM 15 GB HDGeforce 2 MXWould love to hear any suggestions before going back to default.Cheers!Richard

Try a combination of the two. Try the multiplier at 10 and increase your FSB to 105. Usually you won't be able to get more than 150MHz increase unless you are using some super cooling.An increase in FSB also increases the speed of the PCI/AGP bus. Some cards are very picky and will not function with any increase in speed. This is probably what's happening with your videocard.BTW I think simflyer is mistaking. There is no possible way he could tweak an extra 650MHz out of that CPU.Dennis