Sign in to follow this  

Man against machine. An upgrade gone South?

Ever diligent in the quest for Flight Simulation Nirvana, I over the weekend upgraded my:Asus P4T 423 "Willamette only" 1.7to a:Asus P4T-E 478 Northwood 2.2First, my local dealer is going out of business it seems. No stock, ever. Went to the old standby. They now qualify as my local dealer. Purchase system, and on Saturday evening at about 4:30 pm, I begin what should have been a 20 minute saga, and end up about 18 hours later with an apparently working, seemingly rock stable PC, and a badly stuttering 2002.Somewhere I have a conflict. That, or the 2.2 is flaky. At first glance, I would have swore it. But now, a couple of days later, and a couple of days burn in later, I do believe it is running "swell" hardware wise. Chipset on both mobos were identical in nomenclature, but I know that they were not exact, as a post-mortem Intel .Inf install ended up installing two Intel components post upgrade, one dealing with AGP. The AGP of course is Video, which of course deals with stutters. Now I'm borked. No doubt about it. Momentary stutters and hitches when close to ground. Seems like the AGP channel is funky. Did not happen with the 1.7. Am going to try manual settings (bios, clock, perhaps a small over clock, just to see what happens. ) right after I post this. Upon first reboot got an immediate error (bad sign). Cross fingers. Reboot. Repeat error. Damn. Cmdninst. Reboot. 50? times! Each reboot would have you ack so many of these dialogs, but it was not fatal. It was like some pusher, egging you on to just try one more time... Ran great in safe mode. Passed all the tests. SiSandra said it "rocked". TechNet was down. Today, after fixing (kludging it) I find:"Cmdninst Caused an Invalid Page Fault" Error Message While You Upgrade to Windows Millennium Edition (Q277994)if you're curiousI had to try just about everything, and even after removing hardware, it took a piece by piece deinstallation/reinstallation of core hardware and software components to get a running system. 18 hours later, I have a system that excels, and stinks at the same time. Sucks to be me. Any input? What do I want? Registry hack or previous experience pointing me in the direction I need to go. Other than format of course. I know how to do that. :)TIA,btDon't seek the green grass. Sometimes you just get weeds. :-eek

I'll flesh this out later, but I thought I would put in my two cents while it was still fresh. Why did my seemingly easy upgrade go so seemingly bad? Number one reason? Carelessness. Carelessness and assumptions. That and a 32-bit desktop :)The plot thickens. More to follow.Edit: Well I had written a rather long-winded tome with all the gory details concerning this upgrade experience, but after proofing it...Too long. I'll spare you most of it. :)The root cause of the problem came from my refusal to run the Intel .INF installer. I knew better. I was being stubborn. Careless. I did this careless thing because I assumed I would not need to having already just done so 6 months previously on the same OS for the SAME Intel Chipset! I know better than this. Well all's well that ends well. Simming is back to normal, the stutters are all gone (that missing .inf file I do believe was the cause) and another PFM issue is not so PFM now! :)Lesson learned...don't skip the steps. No matter how sure you are, don't take shortcuts. You end up paying in the end.btOh yeah...and the 32-bit desktop? Don't ask :) It