Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stompy

Please advise re: video card upgrade procedure

Guest Stompy

I was really hesitant to post this, but then decided it was better to be safe than sorry. I'm upgrading my video card, but staying in the nVidia family. I've already got the 23.82 drivers installed on my WinXP computer. To put it simply, what do I need to do as far as the software is concerned?Do I need to change the driver for my current card to standard vga, then swap, then update the drivers, or just throw the new card in, or what? Can anyone give me any advice or tell me what to watch out for especially if they've done this recently?The reason I wasn't sure I wanted to post was because I actually know what I'm doing, but at the same time I haven't done it for a couple of years, so I don't know if things have changed in that time (like the way the nVidia driver updates have now become self-extracting executables). But I'm not here to brag about my new stuff. Like I said, better safe than sorry, so...got any advice?Thanks!

Guest SD Sim

Hi David,I just installed a new GF3 Ti200 yesterday to replace my GF2 MX400 PCI card. Here is the procedure that I've followed each time I've installed new drivers (I'm sure this is overkill, but it works for me). Working in safe mode, I use the uninstall programs control panel to remove the old drivers. After a reboot, I disable virus protection and run the installer for the new drivers (if you run XP, it will detect the new hardware and launch a wizard to install the drivers, which I just prefer to close). Once the monitor settings are to my liking, I reboot one last time to make sure that everything is running fine. This has worked like a charm every time for me (I'm running Windows XP). I'm sure all of this could be done in safe mode without any intermediate reboot, but I believe in the saying "if it works, don't change it". Now if only I would learn to apply this principle to driver updates :-lol.