Sign in to follow this  
Guest BobL

HELP!!! I've lost my FLight Sim HD

Guest BobL

I had everything flight sim on a separate physical hard drive and I mean everything. I have acquired a new computer system and removed the physical HD from the old and installed it in the new, thinking XP would automatically find it (with it's old volume name d:/flight sim). The operating system is XP Home EditionThe computer BIOS recognizes the HD. You can see it sitting there under Device Manager and the disk management tools show it present, active, no conflicts and ready status but with no drive letter or volume name.My Computer doesn't see it at all. I've tried un-installing it and re-installing it per the XP instructions but I don't get the 'found new hardware wizard' that it said I would. It reinstalls the HD in the background but doesn't assign a drive letter.It has a single FAT32 partition, installed by the old computer. I've tried taking it back to the old computer and it can't find it either. The same thing applies. The Device manager sees the HD but it's not a drive. It's just sitting there with no volume assigned.What can I do to get this HD recognized?BobL

Try booting to it with a WinMe or Win9x boot disk. See if the drive mounts. Do a dir. Do you see files? Yes, probably operator error in XP. No...your drive is borked. If its borked, can it be recovered? Sure. What is it worth. Would it be just like it was, after the fix? DoubtfulGood luck.Let us know,