Sign in to follow this  
Guest georgi55

Overclocking, is this my Mabo/CPU's limit? (1.2 to 1.33

Guest georgi55

I have AMD 1.2Ghz 266FSB and Soyo K7ADA - Alimagic Chipset Mabo.When Vcore and Multiplier are set to Auto - it works as it should 1.76V and 1.2Ghz.I disabled auto multiplier and setted it to 1.0, 1.2, 1.333, and 1.4 Ghz.When I set to 1.4Ghz, windows Xp would show diskread error when trying to acces the HD.When on 1.333Ghz, everything runs fine.So, I decided to change Vcore, and here's what happened (Multiplier to 10.5 - running at 1.4Ghz):1.750 (run at 1.760) - Diskread error before Xp starts loading.1.775 (run at 1.790) - Windows Xp would show blue scereen right before the logo shows up.1.800 (run at 1.815) - Windows Xp would load, but right before Log-in screen shows up, a blue screen1.825 (run at 1.840) - Windows Xp loads, able to log in, but within 10 seconds, a blue screen.1.850 (XXXXXXXXX) - Computer won't POST - CPU error beeping.As you see, Vcore tends to run 0.125 higher than its setting, and I was never able to run my CPU at 1.4Ghz,because XP would freeze with a blue screeen - and eachtime the blue screen said differnt things.Now I run it on 1.333Ghz - Multiplier 10 - Vcore Auto-1.76 - running at about 52C - only 2~3 C higher than when on 1.2Ghz.Does anyone have suggestion on what I can do to make it work at 1.4Ghz, or this is my limit?Thanks in advance. :)

Guest SoarPics

Hi Georgi,The Vcore has little to do with overclocking. It is sometimes increased to enhance stability when overclocking. I also give a bit more power to the memory, as DDR seems to run more stable then, too.What you want to increase is the FSB speed. At your nominal 1.2Ghz your MB's FSB is 133. As an example, increasing the FSB (in the BIOS) to 143 would yield a CPU running at 1.29Ghz. The advantage to increasing FSB is that you increase speed system wide, certainly very desirable. Hope this helps,

Guest georgi55

>Hi Georgi, >>The Vcore has little to do with overclocking. It is >sometimes increased to enhance stability when overclocking. >I also give a bit more power to the memory, as DDR seems to >run more stable then, too. >>What you want to increase is the FSB speed. At your nominal >1.2Ghz your MB's FSB is 133. As an example, increasing the >FSB (in the BIOS) to 143 would yield a CPU running at >1.29Ghz. The advantage to increasing FSB is that you >increase speed system wide, certainly very desirable. >>Hope this helps, Yes, very helpful. This was the first time I overclocked and the page I read talked only about Miltimlier and that Vcore increases stability.Now that you told me about FSB I found a page about it and I will try it.Thank you for useful information :)

George, unless you've taken some extraordinary steps, your multiplyer is likely locked. All modern cpu multiplyers are. Even thou the bios lets you set the "multiplyer", it should have no effect on your system. I'm not sure what you were really adjusting by your settings, but I imagine it had to be the fsb you were already altering.With respect I also want to differ slightly from the advise that vcore is not that important to overclocking. It is essential if you wish to extend your cpu into areas beyond its ability at default vcore. you need to understand what is an unsafe vcore for your processor and not exceed that, and you must monitor your cpu temp.In addition, while I know of no simple way to overclock using the multiplyer, I must also differ about how I'd overclock if I could use the multiplyer. Rather than see the overclocking of the rest of my system as an advantage, I view this as a huge disadvantage. Your PCI bus, AGP bus, IDE devices and memory run at a percentage of your front side bus speed (fsb). By being forced to overclock the whole system, we face a complicated challenge to identify exactly which part of the system is responsible for the appearance of a premature limitation. You may have memory that isn't able to hack the o/c...I've heard of folks that have lost hard drives through too high an overclock. Now it is possible, depending on your bios, to alter the ratio of fsb to pci/agp bus speed, but normally only at gross settings. Assuming your bios permits 1mhz steps for the fsb, you'll still experience something like a 20mhz o/c on your peripherals, or have to suffer an underclock for those peripherals, unless youre lucky and get the proc o/c to the next gross setting.Example:When I o/c my celeron 366, back in the good ol days, it was rated at 366mhz on a 66mhz fsb (multiplyer was locked at 5.5). the pci was default at 1/2fsb or 33mhz and the agp was default at fsb speed or 66mhz. My bios allowed me to set the pci to 1/3fsb and the agb to 2/3 which would provide the default bus speeds only if the fsb could be 100mhz. Luckily for me, I had a processor good enough to reach 100mhz fsb (most of the old 366s could), so I was able to enjoy it running at 550, and by reseting the bios fractions, the rest of my system was not overclocked at all. But if I hadn't, if I'd of had to stop the o/c at 83mhz fsb, then I'd had to choose an overclocked or underclocked setting for the rest of the system.Hope this helps.Bob Bps: The celeron o/c was years ago, and that system is STILL rock solid at 550mhz, my kids use it every day. "they don't make em like they used to"