Sign in to follow this  
Guest nitram

missed Approach procedures

Can someone help with this one? Using the DF 737 or the CS 727:On the IAP's their is usually a section that outlines the MAP (missed approach procedure).My problem is that I don't know how to go about it. If I want to perform an autoland I need both Nav 1 and 2 tuned into the ILS. I will also need the course set for ILS. How do I then, in a split second, suddenly tune a VOR freq. and new course and then fly a holding pattern! Would you set it up the FMC and if so, how? What if you do not have one? Cheers

I'll take a crack at this...All instrument approaches are unique. I have read too many time about how the ILS is not lined up with the runway or how someone can't get a plane to land automatically. Welcome to the real world of flying. :)Let's break down the instrument approaches...they basically fall into two catagories: precision and non-precision, although some seem to fall in between.An ILS approach is a precision type. It provides both localiser (horizontal) and glide slope (vertical) information.A VOR or NDB are both non-precision types. They do not provide vertical guidance.There's also LOC and LDA types which are technically non-precision but are a slightly more precise than the VOR and NDB.Several other types of approaches exists, but we'll stay away from them for now.Let's look at an ILS approach plate. To make the IAF, you may need both NAV1 and NAV2, the NDB, DME or some combination there of. Once you intercept the IAF, basically your task is now to navigate to the FAF using NAV1 tuned the the localizer. This instrument alone will provide guidance for both horizontal and vertical.You would now fly the bird down to decision height (DH), which at that point, if you can't visually obtain the runway you must execute a Missed Approach. Yes, you can let the Autopilot do the work, nothing wrong with that...but, at some point a human must take over (unless the aircraft, and pilot, are rated for the proper "autoland" category, CAT III, I believe).Before an approcah is even attempted, the PIC should be familiar with the approach plate (ie: know what to do for a missed approach). One thing you could do is tune in the nav aids for the missed approach as the stand-by frequencies...this way all you would have to do is select the freq and rotate the OBS per the Missed Approach procedures. Cockpit management is the name of the game!Upon a Missed Approach...1) Fly the plane! 2) Navigate 3) and then Communicate. It's not worth worrying about what radial you're on when the planes heading for the ground.Now...a little reminder... every approach is not necessarily lined up with a runway. That's what the Cirle-to-Land means at the bottom of the approach plate. Not every approach will line you up exactly with the runway for a nice smooth landing...that's not real world.Sorry if I rambled a little too much...I just love flying instrument approaches (by hand). I didn't go into all the details nor cover what the FARs say...just wanted to touch base a little. Check out in detail several approach plates for a couple different airports in your area...you'll learn a lot. There's also several good links with tutorials on how to fly approaches (properly) and several good IFR books available (hint: check your local library ;)).Also, especially with the big birds... if you're trying to land going 250 kts...don't! I'm assuming you're flying the bird properly and you're just worried about cockpit management...remember, inreal life there's more than one person in the cockpit...teamwork.Brad

Guest nitram

If you have already set your runway heading , increase power, gear, flaps up etc or hit go around on throttle quadrant. Click on the Heading button on the autopilot and adjust required altitude. This will set you on a straight out heading. Check the FMC. It has a HOLD button. Click this and it will give you a list of holding localisers relevent to the airport (providing you used this for your flight). Select one and the altitude etc. This will put you into the holding pattern until ATC or you request another landing. It is good practice to set up the autopilot headings for the runway after intercepting the localiser and also to check out the correct holding pattern for a missed approach. Real pilots do this before landing by checking the relevant charts and discussing this before landing. You must do this too, otherwise the panic takes over ! Regards Nitram UK (another DF737 user !)