Sign in to follow this  

Joystick in Linux

Hi, Are there any Linux users here? I need help loading my joystick in Linux. I installed the kernel source and read some joystick documentation that came with it but it's a bit over my head and I really don't want to have to compile the kernel if I can help it, I'd prefer to just load the joystick driver as a module.Using Mandrake 8.2 and kernel 2.4.18-6mdk. If any Linux users out there feel like helping me, just lemme know and I will provide more inforation. -Matt Bailey

It's a Microsoft Sidewinder FF Pro (the old gameport kind). -Matt Bailey

Guest ccgr

What does your joystick do/not? How much Linux expercience do you have? As you seem to know already, drivers are kernel modules. Since I am not sure what that particular one uses, you might want to try loading the "sidewinder" module, or worst case "analog". You load modules by typing "modprobe modulename" at the prompt. So, make sure that your gameport modules are loaded (what kind of gameport are you using?) then the sidewinder module (or analog..) and finally joydev. That should take care of it. I hope this helps, and sorry if this post is hard to follow. ;) CCGR (her husband posting for her on request ;))

Thanks for the suggestions, I already tried "insmod" and "modprobe" just about everything. The problem is I can't compile the modules. I might not HAVE to compile the modules, if the ones that came with my kernel worked. When I do "insmod joydev" or "insmod sidewinder" I get a bunch of very strange error messages. Soooo annoying!I'm using the gameport on my Ensoniq 64 PCI sound card. -Matt Bailey