Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tim13

RAM upgrade

Guest Tim13

I have a Compaq Presario (stop laughing!) that was one of the first Athalon 1gig processor machines from them. The max amount of ram that it will accept per Compaq is 384mb. Right now, I have 256mb in it. Due to some bills and what not, I don't want to get a new system just yet, but would like to do a small final updgrade to wring out the last bit of performance of this machine.Now my questions:My current ram is 100mhz in speed. I know that putting in faster ram won't increase performance over the 100mhz, but will it still work at the lower speed. What I mean is, can I put readily available and easier to find PC133 SDRAM in along with the existing PC100 SDRAM? Will the PC133 just run at the slower clock speed?I have a 310 watt power supply, and I'm going to upgrade my vid card from a GF2 Pro 64mb to either a GF3 Ti200 128mb, or a GF4 4200 series. I think that anything faster than the slowest GF4 will be wasted because of my "slow" 1 gig processor. Anyhow, the GF3 should run fine on the 310watt PS, but will I run into power trouble if I put in the GF4?Any and all thoughts are welcome.ThanksTim13

Guest georgi55

There shouldn't be any trouble putting in 133 Ram, it will just operate at 100 as you have said.As the power-supply, I have 250w and GF4 Ti4400 and 0 troubles so 310W should be plenty.