Sign in to follow this  

Upgrading to ATI 9700pro??????????

Hi,I m anxious about upgrading to ATI 9700 pro videocard with 128MBCan anyone please give me some advice about its problems with FS2002( If it has) My Computer Specs:256 DDR RAMTNT2 M64 videocard with 32MB SDRAMP4 1.7GHZ40G HARD DISKI m getting from 9 to 15 FPS in detailed airports (including addon sceneries like OLBA,LIMC,....etc), while 30 FPS at default non-detailed airports and while flying.I m running FS2002 with sliders set to max and resolution set at 800x600. Can anyone predict how much FPS will i get at the most detailed airports when upgrading to an ATI 9700PRO with 128MB DDR RAMThanks

Guest SoarPics

I just dropped a 9700 Pro in my AMD 2400 @ 2.1, A7N8X, 1 gig PC2700 machine last week. I was running a 4600, and I don't miss it at all. The 9700 is terrific.I won't predict your FPS (too many variables to be accurate), but I will say the 9700 has been superb thus far. Just make sure you COMPLETELY remove every thing from your previous driver set.I'm running the Cat 3.5's. Installed easy (card and drivers).I'd recommend that you get more ram (you don't mention what OS your running, but 512 MB's is a good way to go).You should certainly see an increase in performance from your current card. And the visuals will be a ton better.It's gonna be a while before nVidia sees any more of my money.Good luck,

I also have an ATI 9700Pro AIW, and am completely happy and have had no problems with FS2002 at all. When I first installed the card, the first thing I did was fire up FS2002, and my jaw dropped, I was slicing through clouds like butter. Enjoy the card!CJ PuttKTPA

MANY THANKS guys for the reply i'll head to buy itAgain thanks a lot

You will get a great increase in performace, but I get some stutters , not related to fps, which can quite severe. The only way i can sort of "dampen" them is to limit my fps to around 20, when i can easily get 35fps.Even then i get this sort of weird stuttering effect.Remeber in fs2000, there was an opening video which showed some stuff from the game? (not the welcomng one, but the one of the game itself) Remeber there was some funning texture splitting and stuttering? Thats how my game runs, with the omega 3.4s and dx8.1.Does anyone know how to fix this?regards,bob.

Yeah I've gotten this stuttering in both FS2002 & MS Train Sim. The problem seem's to lie within the Cat 3.4 & 3.5 drivers (Omega's included). as soon as I go back down to 3.2 everything is fine again altho @ slightly slower performance because Cat's 3.4 & up are better optimised for the R9700 PRO.

DX 8.1?!?!?!?!Radeon R3xx cards are meant for DX 9!!! Get DX 9.

Btw, 9700 Pros suck, and you can't return it, so send it to me and I can make it not suck :-lol9700 pros kick A$$!!The 9800 pro is only like 10-20% better.I want a 9700 :)

Guest FPSFREAK

>You will get a great increase in performace, but I get some>stutters , not related to fps, which can quite severe. The>only way i can sort of "dampen" them is to limit my fps to>around 20, when i can easily get 35fps.Remember your 35fps is an average. Search for a post called blurries and you'll see what effect the max FPS slider has on performance. 20 is the preffered sweet spot for the slider. Also, remember that anything below 2 Ghz for a cpu is going to take quite a load from a game like FS2002.>>Even then i get this sort of weird stuttering effect.>>Remeber in fs2000, there was an opening video which showed>some stuff from the game? (not the welcomng one, but the one>of the game itself) Remeber there was some funning texture>splitting and stuttering? Thats how my game runs, with the>omega 3.4s and dx8.1.>>Does anyone know how to fix this?Try running DX9. The cat 3.4 and higher from either Omega or ATI are meant to be run w DX9. Says so right in the setup readme. Also, when installing the omegas, make sure you remove the ATI control panel first if you have it installed.>>regards,>bob.Hope this helps...Bobby